Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autobahn Roadhouse to Cabinteely in rush hour?!!

Options
  • 12-07-2007 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi, new to commuting in Dublin so would really appreciate any views on this potential commute and how much of my life it would sap away...

From the Autobahn Roadhouse pub in Glasnevin Avenue to Cabinteely and back during normal working hours.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wouldn't fancy it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭redape99

of a car share then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It`s do-able and not too frightening either.....Combination of 19A from Glasnevin Avenue OR 11,11A,11B from Wadelai Park (Behind the Autobahn) and the 145 from either Parnell Sq East OR O Connell St.
    Morning Peak probs will be Drumcondra/Frederick St (11) or Phibsboro/Frederick St (19A)
    Evenin stickys will be Leeson St/Parnell Sq West.
    U should manage it quite easily within the timeframe of a Travel 90 I suspect !! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

thanks for that. Do you think driving meself is bearable?! Not sure where the end of the route in Cabinteely is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

AlekSmart wrote:
    It`s do-able and not too frightening either.....Combination of 19A from Glasnevin Avenue OR 11,11A,11B from Wadelai Park (Behind the Autobahn) and the 145 from either Parnell Sq East OR O Connell St.
    Morning Peak probs will be Drumcondra/Frederick St (11) or Phibsboro/Frederick St (19A)
    Evenin stickys will be Leeson St/Parnell Sq West.
    U should manage it quite easily within the timeframe of a Travel 90 I suspect !! :eek:

Alex, the 4 from Ballymum Avenue would also be worth a look; it will get you to Donnybrook, leaving one to transfer onto a QBC led 145/46A/84 and whatever the walk to a bus is.

To drive same? Well you are asking for trouble, an hour on a light traffic day but really, you can double it for a normal commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Complete nightmare of a journey, Google Maps reckons it will take you 30minutes (lol) but I would estimate 1.5hrs during rush hour on a good day. To be in for 9 I would recommend leaving your house at 7a.m.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Hamndegger wrote:
    Alex, the 4 from Ballymum Avenue would also be worth a look; it will get you to Donnybrook, leaving one to transfer onto a QBC led 145/46A/84 and whatever the walk to a bus is.

To drive same? Well you are asking for trouble, an hour on a light traffic day but really, you can double it for a normal commute.

The number 4 does not serve Donnybrook - it operates via Merrion Road and Rock Road to Blackrock. Nor does the 46A go to Cabinteely.

The options really are as Alek states 19A from Glasnevin Avenue itself, 11/A/B from Wadelai Park or 4 and 13/13A from Ballymun Road to city centre from where either the 46C or 145 will all go to Cabinteely along the QBC (with the 145 being the most frequent and most direct).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

God, I remember years ago treking out to my cousins in Cabinteely and you had one of two infrequent choices-the 45 or the 84. I didn't even know a bus other than the 46A used that QBC.

Looks bad all ways! I've been near Bristol for a long time and I could be in London sooner. The reason for Glasnevin is very cheap (ie relatives) accom. but looks like much less stress to rent somewhere near Cabinteely.

Cheers for the bus route info.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    God, I remember years ago treking out to my cousins in Cabinteely and you had one of two infrequent choices-the 45 or the 84. I didn't even know a bus other than the 46A used that QBC.

The 145 has been one of the real success stories of Dublin Bus. Designed to offer an express service from Bray to the City Centre the route does not deviate from the QBC en route (unlike the 45/84/46A) that serve Cornelscourt and Stillorgan villages en route.

It operates at a 10 minute frequency for most of the day from Mountjoy Square via the N11 QBC, Shankill, Bray and terminates at Kilmacanogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

KC61 wrote:
    The number 4 does not serve Donnybrook - it operates via Merrion Road and Rock Road to Blackrock. Nor does the 46A go to Cabinteely.

Sorry, KC, I got used to seeing the 4 idle at UCD and Nutley Lane and forgot it runs via Merrion Road to Blackrock now. I know the 46A doesn't run into Cabinteely though I did say it will leave you a decent walk away; the 145 it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nightmare journey, i do the reverse to see the folks at weekends and even then it takes forever through town. although at weekends at least u can use the m50. It would take at least 1.5 hours on a weekday and maybe much longer..

So is the M50 pretty much stop-start all along it's length at peak hours? That 23 miles would be at 15 miles an hour!

m50 route

Give the Bus option a try for a week.
    You may be quite surprised at the way it pans out.
    Be realistic and study the Timetables.
    I would recommend the 11 option as the initial part of your outbound will be at the Terminus and the morning departures are generally very reliable.
    In addition if you board at Wadelai Park you WILL have your choice of seat (A La Ryanair).
    You also have multiple options of whereabouts you can transfer to the 145 as it and the 11/A/B share the same routing from Parnell Sq to The Burlington Hotel,however I would recommend boarding the 145 on P Sq East or O Connell St for the same reasons as I recommend Wadelai Park.

On your marks.....get set.....?? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

redape99 wrote:
    So is the M50 pretty much stop-start all along it's length at peak hours? That 23 miles would be at 15 miles an hour!

m50 route
    Pretty much....I used to average about 13-19mph last year going from Blanch to Sandyford and that was before the road works began! :eek: I shudder to think what it is like now (I've since moved over to Leopardstown as I couldn't cope with the traffic anymore, even leaving at 6:30am)

I'd second Alek's comment above.

It is not quite as daunting a trip on public transport as it might seem.

Assuming a 9am start and a 5pm finish then:
    Going in, the 11 is very reliable (operated by Donnybrook 1's finest!), and should be in O'Connell Street in 25 minutes or so, so allowing for traffic I would say that the 0725 11 would get into Parnell Square in time for the 0800 145 which should comfortably get to Cabinteely for 0840 if not earlier.

Coming back, there are still quite a few 145s along with the odd 46C which would drop you in O'Connell Street allowing a choice of buses home!

1.25 hours by bus for a trip of that distance in rush-hour traffic cross-city is actually quite reasonable I'd have to say.

Cheers everyone, outstanding help!

Assuming I get the job in question I'll report back on the commute.

42769618@N00.jpg42769618@N00.jpg42769618@N00.jpg42769618@N00.jpg42769618@N00.jpg

Any update on the RedTape commute ????

Advertisement