Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buenos Aires overland to Lima in 7 wks - Any advice?

• 12-07-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hey,

Heading off on my travels in next few weeks and looking for as many tips, recommendations etc on the what's, where's, do's, dont's and so on between BA and Lima. All advice welcome as itinerary not set in stone. I am planning, however, to take in some of Bolivia en route.

Hoping if I leave things as open as possible I'll glean more suggestions from you helpful Boardsies!

For those of you who have travelled in South America and particularly those who started off in BA, is it cheaper and/or advisable to get some of my gear on arrival there i.e. suitable boots/jackets etc. it being their winter now?

Muchas gracias a todos,

Aura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

BA is a lot cheaper than here, good shopping there, so I reckon get your clothes there. Grab a nice poncho for cheap in Bolivia too. Clothes there are more tradional or else fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Thanks JæKæ. Have picked up a few pieces over here. Any chance you'd happen to know what the story is with sleeping bags for their winter? How low a temp. should it be able to take? New to all this but do know the warmer the sleeping bag the heavier so not sure what type I should go for for a happy medium as will be lugging it around on my back for 7 weeks.

Aura

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

Hi, i did that trek two years ago. I got my trek boots in argentina and they were a lot cheaper....although i was with a friend who was really picky about the kind she bought and she had real trouble finding what she wanted.....but otherwise no problem....as for a sleeping bag i can't advise as i stayed in hostels every night and just brought my own sheet!

Must see in argentina is the iguazu falls and salta in bolivia.....nows the time for macchu picchu in peru as i've heard it wont be open to the public for too many more years...the trek anyway.

I think my favourite place on the whole trip was San Pedro de Attacama in Chile,...its amazingly beautiful and worth a week on its own!

Have fun and enjoy, i'm leaving for a year starting in BA in september and i'm jealous listening to you...i'd love to be on my way already!

Thanks littlesurfer. Think I remember from a previous thread that you were going on your own... I am too so any tips you'd have in that regard as a female traveler toute seule would be fantastic.

Far as I can tell the Inca trail is booked out up to three months in advance so looks like I'll be missing out on the trail but hope to at least see the ruins on day trip though suspect that pales in comparison to the whole sunrise experience!

Hadn't intended really on heading into Chile but keep hearing great reports so may have to remedy that. Any ideas on internal flights?

Sorry, seriously picking your brains here! Counting the days!!

Thanks,

Aura

How do you know the Inca Trail is booked up? If its through online sites then i reckon you can still go. The local tour agents buy up months worth of tickets to sell in Cusco,...we booked and were on the trail within four or five days...its worth it...probably the most memorable part of the trip!!

I am going solo, and a bit freaked about that but i'm up for the challenge as i'm sure you are! Best advice i've been given is to try and book the hotel for the next town your planning to hit online before you leave the last place....if that makes sense. That way you cut out the trawling the street or trusting taxi drivers bit! Something i always do too! Someone else mentioned that guitar string is handy for holding a pouch around your neck for cash cards etc....apparantly its tough to cut and if you get nylon then no one will see it....seems like hassle though.

Cant think of anything else at the moment but i'l drop back if i think of anything...feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions at all!

• Advertisement

Ah that'd be fantastic if I could still arrange trip in Cusco! It was online sites that I've checked thus far.
    interesting idea re guitar strings thing. Can you almost bank on being robbed over there? :o
    Yeah hope to book each onward journey before heading off to avoid exactly the scenarios you describe.
    My Spanish is pretty limited. Do you speak much yourself and if not how did you fare without it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Someone else mentioned that guitar string is handy for holding a pouch around your neck for cash cards etc....apparantly its tough to cut and if you get nylon then no one will see it....seems like hassle though.

Wouldn't it be better to have one of them thin money belts you can wear inside your shorts/trousers?

Having your pouch hanging from your neck is a bit of an advertisement i would have thought.

apparantly thieves know to search around the waist and the straps are easily cut.....but personally i always used a money belt low slung under my trousers!

Anyway just came back cause i forgot to tell you about one of my favourite pitstops...in Chile again....A little village called Vicuna...Its a lovely little sleepy town and is the closest village to the biggest observatory in the southern hemisphere....its amazing at night,...and they have a telescope which allows you to see Saturn and its rings as clear as anything....its Amazing!!!

That sounds lovely. Where is it in relation to Atacama?

Really want to take in Iquazu Falls too and having difficulty working out how best to do it while also incorporating Cordoba etc in Argentina?

Any ideas anyone?

In Buenos Aires now and loving it! Traveling to Iguazu in next few days. Any recommendations for places to see en route from Iguazu to Bolivia or best route to take?

Aura

• Advertisement
Advertisement