Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another first date!!!

Options
  • 12-07-2007 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well I met a nice guy through a friend recently and he has asked me to the cinema on Saturday night! I have had boyfriends before but I sort of fell into going out with them (was friends with them first). So this is actually my first proper date at the grand old age of 20.

I am just wondering-

What would I wear to the cinema for a date? My usual t-shirt and jeans might be a bit too casual, I want to look like I'm making some sort of effort!

Should I go for a proper kiss on the first date? I only gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek the night we met. He seems like a nice guy and they are few and far between so I want him to know I'm a nice girl. I've had my fair share of drunken encounters on nights out but I don't have sex with strangers. At the same time I don't want him to think I'm a prude.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'd imagine he'll ask you to go for a drink afterwards, so whatever you feel comfortable in the pub.
    Don't worry too much - he'll be wearing casual, so you don't want him thinking he's under dressed! ...and it is only the cinema.

As for the kiss, let the night take it's course, he'll make a move at some point if he wants to. If he's too shy, (and you like him) give him a kiss goodnight (whatever you feel comfortable with, but make sure he know's it's not yur "friend" or "brother" you are kissing ;) ).

Relax and enjoy. The first one is aways a little nervy...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

ooooh first date excitement! I love it!

You could still get away with a nice tshirt (Top Shop have lovely summery colourful ones) with a well fitted pair of jeans and a pair of boots? Casual enough but not overdressed.

As for the whole kiss, it will happen in its own good time but if he walks you to your bus/train/luas there is nothing stopping you saying "thanks for a lovely evening" and leaning in to give him the lightest of kisses, lets him know you're interested.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

He'll wear a shirt and jeans and as you will be going for a drink afterwards maybe a nice top and jeans.

In regards to kissing you dont have to but msot likely you will want to so just go with what feels right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

I recommend wearing an old Aran cardigan, stripey tights and doc martins. That's what my girlfriend wore first time we met in 1996 and I love her more than all the chocolate in Caburys.

Good luck with the date! Just relax and enjoy it. Hope it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Agree with maple on the clothes - nice jeans, fitted top and nice jacket! Maybe some nice perfume (not too much - you don't want to gas him out of it with the smell!)

As for the kiss - that will come naturally...just say you had a really nice time and that should give him the cue!! Or if your braver you could make a move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Sounds like a rather casual date to me so I'd say dress casual and comfortable, sprucing it up only a little at most (but only if you really want to, fact is he wouldn't be asking you if he didn't already like you).

As for the kiss just go with the flow, if you feel you want to do it, otherwise wait, if all he's interested in is how far you'll go on a first date he's not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A peck on the cheek the first date and a proper kiss the second should suffice. Make sure to tell him you had a great time and would like to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Oh I love the anticipation and fun of a first date, enjoy :)

I agree with the others here, you can be casual enough with your attire when ye are meeting to go to the cinema. So a nice top, fitted jacket and jeans would be lovely and will take you nicely from cinema to pub.

As for the first kiss, I agree that the moment will happen when its meant to and if ye are both shy and it hasn't happend by the end of the night and you are getting along really well and are comfortable I think you should give him a goodnight kiss, just enough to let him know you like him and want to see him again. Otherwise the two of ye could leave and both be wondering are we friends or are we dating, does s/he like him etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Update!!!

Date went well, glad we went to see a film cos it gave us something to chat about, we went for food and then drinks after and are meeting up again during the week. Oh and I kissed him! I have been single for so long it is weird to sort of have someone around again. Will have to see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Mind and pay yer fair share on the date;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement