Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is it to be able to preform marriage legally?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered this, as it seems a bit of a TV cliche that someone can just hop on the internet, and after a few clicks be registered to legally marry people.

How easy would it be in reality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As far as I know, all you have to do is be ordained a minister. Which you can do online for free

http://www.themonastery.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What about a civil marriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

o1s1n wrote:
    As far as I know, all you have to do is be ordained a minister. Which you can do online for free

So you really can do it over the internet like that and it would be legally recognised? I was thinking it was perhaps fantasty that people could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So you really can do it over the internet like that and it would be legally recognised? I was thinking it was perhaps fantasty that people could do that.
    Nope. Gone are the days when marriage was exclusively governed by the church. Heck, a lot of people are married without doing anything remotely like a wedding ceremony.

Galvasean wrote:
    Nope. Gone are the days when marriage was exclusively governed by the church. Heck, a lot of people are married without doing anything remotely like a wedding ceremony.

Yeah, but for it to be legally recognised?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It depends on what country you are living in. There is no way to do that in Ireland. The laws governing civil marriage ceremonies are very strict.

Master of the Universe

By registering on that site, you are legally able to perform weddings in the U.S.

I can remember reading somewhere that if you were a ordained a minister in the U.S, it would be recognized over here too.

Thanks for bringing this up by the way. I'd completely forgotten I had this super power. (runs off to marry some random people on the street)

Master of the Universe

iguana wrote:
    It depends on what country you are living in. There is no way to do that in Ireland. The laws governing civil marriage ceremonies are very strict.

It's not so much the civil registering part as it is performing the ceremony.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I've always wondered this, as it seems a bit of a TV cliche that someone can just hop on the internet, and after a few clicks be registered to legally marry people.

How easy would it be in reality?
    Has somebody been watching Friends recently?

Oriel wrote:
    Has somebody been watching Friends recently?

No. If you must know, it was an episode of Alias.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

you only get married by law when you sign the registrar after the church sermon.
    so you could get married in a field and have the sheep doing the sermon and then go to the official office and registrar there.
    either way your still married, its only 'in the eyes of god' that you wont be married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Eh, Karl, you do know she still has to say yes don't you? Just because you're allowed to wed people doesn't mean you can marry yourself to that girl you've been stalking without her consent. :p:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

farohar wrote:
    Eh, Karl, you do know she still has to say yes don't you? Just because you're allowed to wed people doesn't mean you can marry yourself to that girl you've been stalking without her consent. :p:D

Well I've lost interest in this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said, such ordainings (?) would be useless over here. Over here there are only certain places that are legally recognised as wedding registries. I don't have any comprehensive list, but roughly that's almost every catholic church, every civil registry, a handful of synagogues and other places of worship and one or two (literally) hotels down the country.
    You cannot get legally married anywhere else, regardless of who is performing the ceremony. The registrar has to be legally recognised - this includes the clergy. Simply being a clergyman of a religion does not entitle you to perform legal marriages. Governments have been talking about changing this forever, but seeing as there is still a large hunger for traditional weddings in this country, I don't think there's much pressure.

By all means, you can become a minister, and marry people in the name of Hungusness. But they'll still have to go to a registry for it to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

so has anyone been ordained yet ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I know a Scottish couple who have a bunch of pet stuffed fruitbats, and one of the fruitbats (Sushi) is an ordained minister.

So it can't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

farohar wrote:

Haha! Plan foiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Man, I'm going to get ordained for the laugh. Something funny to show off at the pub. :D

Wayhey, check it out lads. I am now offically ordained!

untitledgt9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Duggy747 wrote:
    Wayhey, check it out lads. I am now offically ordained!

untitledgt9.png
    Great.... now you can use celibacy as an excuse for your luck (or more appropriately lack of luck) in that department! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Sofaspud wrote:
    I know a Scottish couple who have a bunch of pet stuffed fruitbats, and one of the fruitbats (Sushi) is an ordained minister.

So it can't be that difficult.
    So did he wait until before or after he was ordained to let a man give him a good stuffing?:D

basquille wrote:
    Great.... now you can use celibacy as an excuse for your luck (or more appropriately lack of luck) in that department! ;)

You're a funny guy Basquille, I like you. That's why I'm gonna kill you last! ;)

It'll be a great excuse for fat goth chicks or ugly girls :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Yeah, but for it to be legally recognised?

a old friend of mine got ordained and then married his sister to her husband

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

User45701 wrote:
    got ordained and then married his sister
    I had to read your post about 3 times before I actually took notice of the last part of the sentence. Now it makes sense :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Louth4sam

o1s1n wrote:

Thats what Ian Paisley did Dr of Divinity
    I'm sure people know he isnt a real Doctor.

Master of the Universe

Louth4sam wrote:
    Thats what Ian Paisley did Dr of Divinity
    I'm sure people know he isnt a real Doctor.

Slight difference between being ordained a minister and given an honourary doctorate.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ian Paisley's doctorate isn't honorary, he paid for it from some US degree mill I believe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget immigration don't accept all foreign marriages.
    Too many guys "marry" a south asian for the sex slavery buzz.

Advertisement