Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 6000 gone haywire

Options
  • 11-07-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Ready to throw this laptop out the window at this stage

Its two years old christmas coming

-Screen. Every few days it randomly turns a random colour (bright red was the latest) there is no recovering from it- the only solution is to press the power button, hence all open work is lost

-Fan- changes power settings freqently, very random. Never happened before

-General performance- sometimes just randomly freezes, has problems running office enterprise 2007 even though there is 1.5gb of ram. Hard drive is probably full of spyware

I only use it for music/internet/web design.

Should it be giving up already? Anything I can do to "Save" it? Really cant afford a new one right now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try plugging a monitor in the graphics port at the back if there is one and see if the colour issue pops up there. It could be something simple like a loose cable connecting the LCD to the motherboard.
    Do a spyware and antivirus sweep in safe mode, use Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG antivirus to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I have AVG Free, running a scan right now.

Is there any way of obtaining an XP disc off dell, none was shipped with my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I have the same lappy - have had a few problems but none as severe as what you describe.

If dell didn't supply you with a Windows disk they probably installed it on a partition somewhere on your HDD. Can't recall exactly how this is accessed but I'm sure someone else here will. Failing that get in touch with Dell and they might send you a CD/DVD.

Probably a good idea to just wipe your HDD and reinstall windows. There's a chance it might solve your woes (apart from the monitor thing) and its a good idea for maintaining PC health in general. There could be life in the old dog yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Lol hopefully!

I plan on reinstalling windows completely, should I get hold of XP disc.

Will let ye know how I get on!

Advertisement