Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord no show

Options
  • 11-07-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

I had an appointment for 7.15 to view a house to let.

I gathered 2 landlord references, work references, a cover letter, 1300 deposit just in case and arrived at 7.10. There was no answer at the door. I called the number i had called to get the appointment and she said the landlord had just called her to say it was gone.

I'm fcuking fuming. I'm 7 months pregnant, i made the appointment. Its not an agency.

I've never encountered anything like this in the 3 and a half years i have been renting.

Is there anything i can do apart from stew? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Sorry to hear that. It's real frustrating. Unfortunatly there's nothing you can really do (bar make some annoying calls to the landlord). No wonder we're all obsessed with owning property here when (prospective) tennants can be treated like crap.

Anyway best of luck with the search, and of course with the pregnancy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Persius wrote:
    Sorry to hear that. It's real frustrating. Unfortunatly there's nothing you can really do (bar make some annoying calls to the landlord). No wonder we're all obsessed with owning property here when (prospective) tennants can be treated like crap.

Anyway best of luck with the search, and of course with the pregnancy :)

Thank you for the reply!

I am calmer now. Am emotional enough without the added pregnancy hormones!!

I have become accustomed to not getting responses from emails and telephone messages, very accustomed actually!! But to arrange an appointment and then not show up and not even have the courtesy to call me to say the property was gone, is a new one for me. I was so upset, i had arranged a lift, a childminder etc.

To hell with them anyway something better will come along.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The same happened me last Autumn. I went up to look at a place that I had agreed to view with the landlord. Knocked at the door, no answer. Rang the phone no answer. What can you do? There's no accounting for bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Hate to say this, but it could be the landlord didn't like the look of you and decided not to open the door. :)

Hate to say this, but it could be the landlord didn't like the look of you and decided not to open the door. :)

Well i thought of that and its quite possible.

I was wearing a kind of suit, hair tied back neatly and armed with a portfolio full of references in lovely plastic covers, but try as i might i couldnt hide the bump! Although i had mentioned my pregnant status on the phone.

Had he seen my purse bursting to the seams with his deposit he would have liked the look of me :)

I think the same thing happened to the person in to view it before me tbh. Just plain bad manners.

I believe theres a reason for everything and it obviously was not meant to be!

• Advertisement

On a slightly related note, a lot of landlords put their rent up within an hour of me making enquiries.

I emailed one that had just gone on the net for 1250. Half an hour later i look and it 1400.

Applied for one last night by phone, it was only on the net 19 minutes! It was 1250. Looked this morning at 8.30am and it was 1300!! I guess they are getting a lot of interest so they increase the rents. But if they only wanted 1250, had sat down and decided at some point that that amount was sufficient to cover their own costs/mortgage, then surely its just pure greed?

Does no-one regulate landlords? I know its not illegal but its damn right annoying. Guess there is nothing anyone can do. As long as people need housing, they will continue to get away with whatever the hell they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

If you'd mentioned your pregnancy on the phone, you would hope that if he had a problem with it, he would have the decency to let you know, if not directly then indirectly. Or if that would have been too obvious, to call you back and tell you the flat had gone, or made up some other excuse. At least save you the wasted trip. We are presuming that your pregnancy was a problem for him, of course it may not have been, it might have been an honest missed apointment. I would say, if you went through an agency any possible discrimination, is more unlikely.

All you can do, is keep trying I'd say. You will find a decent landlord out there... they do exist! I have my fingers crossed for you.

On the price increases, I'm afraid thats the unregulated free market at its worst. All you can do is sign a long lease and hope that they don't increase the rent while you're there. Things will settle down in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Trinity1, look on the brightside - if that's the way the landlord is treating prospective tenant's, do you really want to have that sort of landlord to deal with come problem time?

Plenty more out there, and probably more suited. Good luck with the search.. oh yeah and the bump :)

ciarsd wrote:
    Trinity1, look on the brightside - if that's the way the landlord is treating prospective tenant's, do you really want to have that sort of landlord to deal with come problem time?

Plenty more out there, and probably more suited. Good luck with the search.. oh yeah and the bump :)

Thats what i was thinking!! Thanks lads, will keep looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Trinity1 wrote:
    Had he seen my purse bursting to the seams with his deposit he would have liked the look of me :)

Hi, in future I think you should not go to meet a stranger with that sort of money in your bag, you could have been mugged. Most (decent) landlords will take a deposit of a few hundred, with the rest to be paid before you get the keys.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    Hi, in future I think you should not go to meet a stranger with that sort of money in your bag, you could have been mugged. Most (decent) landlords will take a deposit of a few hundred, with the rest to be paid before you get the keys.

Oh i didnt know that i thought you give them the deposit straight away. i've always dealt with agencies! Thanks for that advice, will know for the next viewing.

Had my dad with me he gave me a lift, so wasnt too bad last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Trinity1 wrote:
    Oh i didnt know that i thought you give them the deposit straight away. i've always dealt with agencies! Thanks for that advice, will know for the next viewing.

Had my dad with me he gave me a lift, so wasnt too bad last night

Or even bring a couple of hundred in cash and a cheque for the difference

Advertisement