Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh the Woes of addiction....!

Options
  • 11-07-2007 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Dude and dudettes,

I am a smoker of about 2 years. I enjoy smoking... I never seen it as an addiction, just a hobby that I enjoyed... But lately, I decided to give it up, as I has started to huff and puff, and my lungs felt heavy with tar. Bleugh!!!

Of course, the addiction that I thought I didn't have, I did. Trying to quit was UNBELIEVABLY hard. I would be smoking, not even enjoying it any more, yet I couldn't put it down! Its mind boggling. When I managed to quit for a small while (say 3 days) and had a cigarette after this time, I felt ill, sick, dizzy... yet still could not put it out.

I still haven't quit.... Ive done the old excuse of "cutting down" to make me feel better.

Any body else ever experience something like this??

Crazy!

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

That's not how it works.
    I cut down for a couple of years myself, only smoked in the evenings, 3-4 smokes, still found it affected my fitness and still felt like sh1t in the mornings, also found when I was out for a few scoops I went back to smoking 20, so all in all your not really cutting down just fooling yourself. There's not much difference to your body between 4 a day and 10 a day.
    Your either a smoker or a non smoker, there's no in between. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Indeed there is no in between, your on or your off. I found that quitting was hard ( it wouldn't be quitting if it was easy it would just be stopping...) A nicorette inhaler replaced the cigarettes for bout 3 months, while this helped you do need will power and something to keep you going (ie. for me it was just keep getting that voice in your head to tell you "you WILL quit!" any time you thought you were going to die without a fag)
    It worked and 3 years later I don't miss them at all, in fact I may draw fire but I realised what a filthy habit it really is and is truely disgusting! Especially the clothes stink you pick up from passive smokers....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

well, thats the thing. It IS disgusting. But I think you have to be mentally prepared to quit, and not do it because of what anybody else tells you. You can't just quit because your wife/son/dog tells you to... you have to WANT to do it.

Advertisement