Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme World Weather/Heatwave kills over 500 people in Hungary.

Options
  • 10-07-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Snow in the argentine capital for the first time in 90 years.Resulting from La Nina?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0710/1news_av.html?2267797,null,230

20 children died in Peru with sub zero temps
    Drought in west US.Forest fires.
    Texas under 3 feet of water in some places.
    Forest fires in southern France.
    Floods in Moscow
    Snow in Argentina.
    Showers for Ireland,how lucky are we.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Switzerland is having it pretty miserable this month too.

On the news this morning, after giving the weather forecast, they mention that the north of Switzerland (i.e. north of the Alps) was due to be 5 degrees colder today than 6 months ago - that being the 10th of January!!!

Then on the way to work, the paper had an article about how earlier this year the Swiss long-range forecasts from the meteo (and the UK and others) were all talking about another possibly-record-breaking summer on par with 2003.

Spring came so early and winter had been so mild that they were predicting high risk of widespread drought, due to a lack of alpine melt, spring rain, and all the rest of it. Instead, we've had floods, flood-warnings, and its still raining.

Sigh.

On the plus side, we had about 2-3 weeks of daily thunderstorms which was cool in a "spectacular nature" sort of way...as well as being literally unprecedented :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snowbie wrote:
    That was back at the end of june, my sister is in south africa and says it's really not that weird to get snow in jo-burg.

June 27 (Bloomberg) -- Johannesburg recorded its first confirmed snowfall for almost 26 years overnight as temperatures dropped below freezing in South Africa's largest city, grounding flights at its main airport.
    Is this tabloid BS again then.:(

Is the intention of this thread to just report on weather extremes from around the world? If so, I'll add my two cents:
    This site is a good place to keep up with the weather in the US:
    http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headline.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0
    As snowbie mentioned there is severe drought in the western us but this has also come with some severe heatwaves and in the last week many daily temp records(the record for one particular date) and in some places all-time heat records were broken(hotest ever recorded.
    In utah they are fighting their largest wilfire ever recorded for that state;
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288773,00.html
    More on the recent heatwave in the west:
    http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/07/05/819306-heat-wave-scorches-western-states

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Is this tabloid BS again then.:(
    No, my sis just said it's not that odd and the south africans she knows say it's just one of those cold winters they get every now and again, they were overdue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Snowbie wrote:
    Forest fires in southern France.

Yearly event, nothing new/spectacular about it.

A cousin of mine in Sydney said a couple of weeks back that it fell below freezing for the first time in years.She is on the outskirts of the city and a little way up a mountain side but is unusal to fall below freezing even there she said over consecutive nights too.

Must be a southern hemisphere thing going on atm in terms of unusal cold even in the winters there.

ambro25 wrote:
    Yearly event, nothing new/spectacular about it.
    Maybe,but in line with the rest of the med being BBq'ed while the northern europe monsoon continues with a diference of just a couple hundred miles.Contrast is extreme this year,though similar most years.

Snowbie wrote:
    Contrast is extreme this year.

I agree, this summer has shown some massive weather contrasts across europe, a couple of weeks ago south and southeastern europe were absolutely baking in temps up to 47c but literally a few hundred miles away it was cool with very bad flooding(north england).
    I read somewhere else that there is a pattern of this happening every ten/eleven years when there is a serious heatwave in se'ern europe and a crap cool summer in our part of the world, it happened in 1988(record heat in greece and cyprus),98(i think) and now 07
    However, I think the forecast is that the rest of continental europe will heat up substantially in the next week while ireland and the uk stays on the periphery of the heat, maybe occasinally getting some warmth but as the uk will be on the frontline between the cool and hot air it's looking like there will be some serious rain there next weekend, but this could change before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowbie wrote:

Quote : "Snow last blanketed Johannesburg for a single day on Sept. 11, 1981."

Well, its been quite a while since snow blanketed Dublin for a full 24 hrs. Would that have been 1987?? I know we've had some accumulations since then but not a full day I think.

A

Feb 27/28th 2001,last snow day or as you say blanketed for 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Forest fires here in Corsica and freezing temperatures forecast, for the Alps, where i'm going next week. Should be warmed up a bit by then though.
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Samoens.0to3mid.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowbie wrote:
    Feb 27/28th 2001,last snow day or as you say blanketed for 24hrs.

Ah yes, didn't realise there was a full day of snow in the city aswell that day.

(I'm missing the winter snow forecasting already.....!)

A

Over 500 people are dead in Hungary so far from the exceptional heatwave baking south eastern europe. In Romania 30 are confirmed dead while their all-time July heat record was broken today with 44c at 16:00 in Calafat
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6914490.stm

rc28 wrote:
    Did anyone see on the news there the massive amount of hail that fell in donegal? The footage showed it built up on the sides of roads but most of it had melted by the time the camera crew arrived. It should be up on their website later so i'll post a link then.
    It's on their site now, in the following link scroll down to the link were it says "two die during british floods.." In that report they have footage of the donegal hail (a good while after it fell though):
    http://rte.ie/news/6news/

rc28 wrote:
    It's on their site now, in the following link scroll down to the link were it says "two die during british floods.." In that report they have footage of the donegal hail (a good while after it fell though):
    http://rte.ie/news/6news/
    Post best suited in this thread rc.:)

In that storm up there,i recorded over 250 strikes in and around the vicinity of the North west during that spell.

Snowbie wrote:
    Post best suited in this thread rc.:)

In that storm up there,i recorded over 250 strikes in and around the vicinity of the North west during that spell.
    Thanks for moving to the dedicated thread. Wow 250 strikes is a lot for ireland. What struck me about the donegal hail was that the camera crew probable arrived out there a couple of hours after the event and yet there was still sizeable mounds of the stuff everywhere.
    Did today's lightning help you calibrate your detector? There seems to be more detail in this new one, is there or am I imagining things?

Advertisement