Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed on timber

Options
  • 10-07-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hello,

I need some advice on a project I am about to comit too. I want to build a wooden structure which will be about 8' x 4' x 1/2" so i will need sheets of timber a bit taller then that, 3 of them to be precise for the two sides and the back, The front will be comprised of smaller sheets of timber making a shape. So maybe 4 or 5 of those sheets of timber just incase.

What I need to know is what would be the best wood to use, I want it to last but I also need it in a tight budget, the wood will also be painted over rather then clear varnish so the "Look" of the wood does not matter much.

So does anybody have any suggestions on what wood would be the best to use? And where the best place online, Or in Limerick would be to buy the timber?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi D.

Probably the best material would be multi core plywood rather than MDF or chipboard but it may be hard to get. I only know one supplier in Dublin that stock it, Strahans Timber... they do 18mm Birch faced multi core plywood with about 16 plies in an 18mm thickness for about €60 a sheet. This compares to WBP poplar faced plywood with about 8 plies in a 18mm thickness for maybe €35 to €40 each. (If anyone knows more suppliers in Dublin please tell me!)

You could also use solid pine board but it will need some preparation before painting. Or just use MDF or chipboard.

I don't know if you're near Tralee but Noyeks Newmans have a branch there and they sell many panels.

Most panels are 2440mm long... you can get 2800mm panels but they will be harder to source and will probably only be chipboard or MDF.

I'm sure someone else will have better / more advice.

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement