Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers Allowance

Options
  • 10-07-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am being made redundant in a couple of months and 5 weeks later i have my final professional exams. With work being so hectic at the moment, I could do with the 5 weeks off before my exams before starting a new job. (it also may be hard to get time off for the actual exams when only starting a new job)
    With a mortgage etc I couldn't afford to do it with no pay for the 6 weeks in total so I was wondering about the Dole. I will be actively looking for a job with the hope to starting the new job the week after my exams. How hard is it to get the dole? I know I have to show evidence that i applied for jobs but is there anything else?
    Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

You will have to show evidence that you are actively seeking work e.g applications for jobs, rejection letters, employer's replies etc. . If you are getting redundancy over E50,000 you will suffer a disqualification (depending on the amount) of up to 9 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

You will have to show evidence that you are actively seeking work e.g applications for jobs, rejection letters, employer's replies etc. . If you are getting redundancy over E50,000 you will suffer a disqualification (depending on the amount) of up to 9 weeks.

Seeing as the internet is now the number one jobseeking tool, will emails {of rejection} from prospective employers be sufficient??

I am a college graduate. Suppose I apply for 30 graduate positions and don't get any of them.

Suppose I then apply for a job as a chimney sweep boy in Dublin 3 and I get the job for the min. wage.

Am I obliged to take that job???

What are the Doles criteria for determining these issues??

Many thanks.

A persons age, skillas and experience are looked at in that situation,

A persons age, skillas and experience are looked at in that situation,

I'm 29, I have a degree and I can't get a look in on the graduate scene.

Now, obviously, if I apply for the position of the Director of the CIA, and I don't get the job, that doesn't count as real jobhunting!!

But on a lower level, office temp, legal assistant, etc....that would count, right??:confused:

Firstly look for work suited to your skills and experience, since you are interested in the legal field concentrate your job search efforts there first since that is where you hope to gain professional development. If after 3-4 months you have been unsuccessful looking for work in your chosen field then you will have to broaden your work search to take in other areas of employment.

• Advertisement

Firstly look for work suited to your skills and experience, since you are interested in the legal field concentrate your job search efforts there first since that is where you hope to gain professional development. If after 3-4 months you have been unsuccessful looking for work in your chosen field then you will have to broaden your work search to take in other areas of employment.

Thats what I have been doing. Exactly that.:D I've cast a wide net. Hope that keeps the DEPT happy when me and them meet again:rolleyes:
    Cheers.

Best of look IT with the job hunting:)

Best of look IT with the job hunting:)

Thanks MMcG, nothing so far, lots of "we will only get back to successful applicant" replies.

Nobody in this country writes, or phones, or even sends a personalised email. Its all automated. It used to be the case that if you wrote to someone, they wrote back, even if it was bad news.

Bloody awful.:mad:

Advertisement