Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milltown outside Castleblaney?

Options
  • 10-07-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Does anyone know about a mill that exist (no longer in use) just outside Castleblaney. I remember as a child walking here and there was a river and maybe a little bit of a pond/lough.

I remember it was out towards Oram (sp)?

If anyone has direction to this mill I would greatly appreciate this.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

Mill town lake is off the Castleblayney road to Oram/Newtown. The lake is a "stocked" lake so if you intend fishing you need a club licence. I don't recall seeing an old mill but it is most likely on the south west river out of the lake, probably was a mill race at one time.

See the attached jpegs, it takes about 5 minutes by car from 'blayney.

lake.jpg

road.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thank you.

I might have got it wrong then. I checked your map and I see a place called Muckno Mill lough and I wonder if thats it ?

I checked the map again and I reckoned it was around the Tullyharnet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

there is an old mill outby that direction but instead of taking the turn off toward miltown lake ukeep headin for oram andthere is a small slip road off to the right (u should c old mill frm road) havent been out that way in a while but was def there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thanks lilyrose will try that next time I am up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Everton62

Turnoff the Oram road and follow the signs for the Monaghan Way. You pass an old mill and strean on your left. Its only 3 minuits walk from the egg factory on the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ashbash

oh strange! lol thats bside my grannys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizzyc

Just came across you post about Milltown outside C'Blayney. The mill was a flax mill called Carvilles Mill :)

Advertisement