Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Enniscorthy to Waterford daily

Options
  • 10-07-2007 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Am thinking about a job in Waterford and living in Enniscorthy, anyone hazzard a guess of commute times? (to cork road in waterford)

Im guessing biggest blocker both ways will be new ross,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

You're right in saying the Ross will be the biggest problem.
    That early in the morning, say having to be in for 9, I'd seriously leave the 'scorthy about 7:15 the first day and guage it from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

really? 1hour 45 mins , thats crazy, im commuting to dub from enniscorthy at the mo and it takes just under 1.5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Yep, but the road from Dublin is an Autobahn compared to the road to Waterford. After New Ross the road improves but seriously dude, for the first few days at least, I'd err on the side of extreme caution!
    Most likely you'll arrive early until you suss it out.
    At the moment the schools are out and that could speed things up a fair bit on the roads.
    Plus, of course, getting down the quays in Waterford City is always fun in heave trafffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

No I take your point, I mean i used to travel from Limerick to wex every weekend and Ross was a nightmare, the country is getting to a stage that all towns are needing to be bypassed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bards

guy I work with leaves Enniscorthy at 8:15 and is in the office around 9:05

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

tw0nk wrote:
    Hi All,

Am thinking about a job in Waterford and living in Enniscorthy, anyone hazzard a guess of commute times? (to cork road in waterford)

Thanks.

The main problems I can see with your commute are:

You have to cross the Nore/Barrow, as do many other people, making the bridge at New Ross a choking point
    Likewise you have to cross the Suir at Waterford bridge.
    You then have to go to the far side of Waterford city.

To avoid all this, it might be worth your while experimenting with the Passage East Car ferry, south of New Ross on the Barrow. Not only could you avoid New Ross*, there’s also potential to avoid Waterford City itself using backroads. Not guaranteed, but may be worth experimenting with.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~passferry/

* By turning left for Adamstown before Clonroche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The good news is that the Waterford bypass will open in two and half years!

NR can be tamed to a degree - its best to avoid ending up on the quay from Enniscorthy side by turning left onto the N25 but to do so not at the top of the steep hill but rather to do so at the lower junction about halfway down hill. Its much quieter as a rule whenever I use it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

FrCrilly wrote:
    The main problems I can see with your commute are:

You have to cross the Nore/Barrow, as do many other people, making the bridge at New Ross a choking point
    Likewise you have to cross the Suir at Waterford bridge.
    You then have to go to the far side of Waterford city.

To avoid all this, it might be worth your while experimenting with the Passage East Car ferry, south of New Ross on the Barrow. Not only could you avoid New Ross*, there’s also potential to avoid Waterford City itself using backroads. Not guaranteed, but may be worth experimenting with.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~passferry/

* By turning left for Adamstown before Clonroche.

Wouldnt do the passeage east option either its jammed with cars everyday and the locals are kicking up a fuss. I was on the rosslare ferry a copule of weeks ago and there was a couple from passage east talking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Scammell

tw0nk wrote:
    Hi All,

Thanks.

At this time of year you should safely get to Industrial Estate or Cork Road area in an hour and twenty five minutes. Come September you might consider allowing an hour and three quarters. This is because there can be 1 1/2 mile tailbacks to bridge into Waterford.

Again you can allow an extra twenty five minutes for the return journey from Sept on top of what it would take you now.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There are two road developments that will help you out in time: the new N25 Waterford bypass, which has already started, happy days, and the New Ross bypass, which is being planned, but no idea when it will start. Both will make a huge difference to your commute.

Meanwhile though, have you got constraints that force you to live in Enniscorthy, or would you simply considering renting in Waterford until the new bridge eases the situation?

I suppose if not, the best thing is to get an iPod or other mp3 player, stick an aux socket in the car and get some audio books, educational podcasts, or simply loadza music! You'll spend enough time behind the wheel!

• Advertisement
Advertisement