Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double bass in Irish folk

Options
  • 10-07-2007 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

So I've recently been captivated by two things... the double bass and trad music. Well no, that's a lie, both things have held my interest for a while but they always tend to take my interest at differant times, but now I'm quite keen on both... so my question is: Does a double bass have a place in Irish music? I've never really seen it being used but nearly every continental, especially Eastern European, folk music tends to use them alot. Just curious

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I find the idea rather disturbing I have to say. But if you manage to do something original and fresh while reminaing in the spirit of the tune, it could be really really interesting (in which case I'll probably buy your CD).
    But don't think you'll get away with murdering a good tune by playing a plain, boring bass line (in which case I shall hunt you down and violently liberate your double-bass). ;)

EDIT: I assumed you were talking about jigs and reels etc... If you were talking about folk songs and stuff it wouldn' t be as avant-garde, so yeah, you'd probably be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yeah I was thinking jigs and reels. I must say, I've heard it before on loads of beginners dancing tracks... but those baselines always annoyed the hell out of me coming from a more rock background where basslines tend to go past "dumda dumda dumda diddle dee dumda dumda... repeat infinity".

I've heard a harp do some pretty excellent basslines at times, and I was at a festival where some Irish musicians were playing and in the background was this legend of a Slovakian contra bass player and he just added loads to the music.

So I take it from your response that a double bass isn't a common sight at most sessions. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

The double bass is definitely not a common sight in sessions, but its getting increasingly popular in newer trad bands. If you haven't already, check out Gráda for some cool use of the DB with trad, also have a look at Lúnasa for the same reason. Best of luck!

Ah sweet... so it is acceptable? Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

yep, but it also depends on the person listening, some people will hate it but feck them!
    here's a compilation clip of gráda, bass isn't that clear in it but its there,
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlaTP11xq-E
    i've seen them live twice and the bass player really adds to the sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Was in Pepper's bar, in Feakle, a few years ago, on a Wednesday night. A chap showed up with a double bass, and joined in with the session. I thought it gave a fuller, more rounded sound, to the music, which I liked.
    I should add that I wasn't playing(merely listening).:)

Yeah the normal setup I have in my head would be lacking a far bit of low end rhythm, maybe the chords on the accordian and the bass strings on a harp, but other then that it strikes me as being a bit lacking in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think it sounds great in a session, but it takes up a lot of room. I didnt see any at the Willie Clancy this week though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Steve Cooney plays double bass.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I went to see Lunasa last night...and the have a bass in the line up...excellent gig one of the best i have ever been at

• Advertisement
Advertisement