Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Archaeology Dropout

Options
  • 09-07-2007 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hi, I dropped out of my masters in Archeology last year (due to family difficulties etc) i didn't complete one of the modules (and it was put down as an incomplete so i know that i can only achieve a pass masters which dosent bother me) and dropped out before i could start my thesis. I really want to go back but i'm afraid that they won't let me back in and that they may view me as unreliable (and i wouldnt blame them). Is there any remote chance they could take me back? (i tried for ages to get in and i ruined my chance once i got there). I have a great proposal for my thesis and i am ready to put in some serious hard graft this year (even if it's just for a pass degree). I cant rest easy unless i complete this. I worked hard to get work experience for the course etc and i feel like i've thrown everything away. I have never left anything unfinished. Any advice would be welcome.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Dunno about your specific situation, but a friend of mine dropped out of a masters after about three months because he just didn't like it, and despite him barely having completed anything the department said they would have him back any time, so it's not completely unheard of. I'm not privy to the processes behind these decisions, but I would have thought that you leaving due to family problems rather than just being a giant flake would be a mitigating factor.

Sure you can only ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Go back and talk to them. Explain the reasons for the dropout and your intentions. Your may be pleasantly surprised at the response.
    I am currently supervising the dissertation element for someone who had a similar situation to what you describe. In her case, it was a 2 year absence, but we considered there were legitimate circumstances surrounding it and agreed that submitting for Hons was permissible. It is a different discipline & institution (?) to you, but as a general rule there is flexibility in the system.
    As Rain On says… Sure you can only ask..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I will ask tomorrow as putting off will only make things harder. I'll let ye know how i got on. thanks, guys.

Advertisement