Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dwyer doesnt like O'Driscoll

Options
  • 09-07-2007 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Dwyer: O'Driscoll flawed, smug and lacking modesty

By Peter Bills
    Sunday July 08 2007

THE location has changed; the surroundings are unfamiliar.

Here, amidst the magnificent rolling hills of Australia's picturesque Southern Highlands, a comfortable two-hour drive south from Sydney, the man who masterminded the Wallabies' first World Cup triumph, now focuses more on steers than scrums, on feed for animals rather than the feed into a scrum.

But that isn't to say that Bob Dwyer has lost interest in the game that made him famous. For sure, he has moved on in his life, a gentleman farmer now rather than ambitious rugby coach. But then, having achieved most of what he sought, he was happy to pass the torch to others, to sit back and assess.

And Dwyer remains an intrigued observer of the world rugby scene. He regularly watches the world's top teams. And his assessment of Eddie O'Sullivan's Ireland, just nine weeks out from this year's World Cup, are fascinating.

Irish captain Brian O'Driscoll, according to Dwyer, is smug and lacks modesty. What is more, his strengths as a world-class rugby player are his flaws. And, if that isn't enough, he isn't a player who reacts well to coaching and coaches.

Dwyer, a guru for coaches the world over, was in charge of the Barbarians a couple of years back when O'Driscoll was selected as part of their squad. The Australian admits he was disappointed with what he encountered.

"I didn't get the impression he was the most coachable of players," said the Australian last week. "Why did I think that? There was a smugness about him, a lack of modesty, too. Even the great players have to be willing to learn, but Brian didn't seem too keen. I got the impression he thought he knew it all and didn't need to listen to a coach.

"When I went on tour years ago with Tim Horan and Jason Little, the Australian centres who were two of the best we've ever known in this country, they told me at the end of that trip that no one had ever told them things I had been telling them. That wasn't a position I suggested, it just came out.

"But I certainly didn't get that reaction from Brian. In my view, Brian O'Driscoll is a great player, but he could be an even greater player if he was prepared to listen and learn. Even the best players can benefit from that."

Yet Dwyer believes O'Sullivan's men are perfectly capable of reaching this year's World Cup final. However, he isn't convinced they can win the tournament.

"Ireland are a very good side in my book. They are strong and a big part of their game is their centres. But O'Driscoll's strengths are his flaws. His lightning acceleration and outside break is a very strong part of his game. But unless those qualities create the ultimate advantage they bring a strong disadvantage, which is that he gets tackled going sideways. What that also means is that he has used all the space those outside him need to play in."

Dwyer acknowledges that Gordon D'Arcy is also a fine player, albeit not quite in the same class as O'Driscoll. But, revealingly, he says: "Unfortunately, D'Arcy has to live off the scraps O'Driscoll gives him."

The Australian's assessment of Ireland also focuses on some highly praiseworthy aspects. For example, he says of fly-half Ronan O'Gara: "He is almost certainly the most improved player in the world. I used to think he was dreadful but now he is terrific.

"He was always a great kicker but not a lot else. But now he is a great player overall. Maybe Alan Gaffney's work at Munster has had an effect. Whatever the reason, O'Gara is now a really good player who controls a game the way you would want to see. And his half-back mate, Peter Stringer, is pretty good, too.

"Ireland have an excellent forward pack. They may lack a bit of height in the line-out but that's only a small point."

How far could Ireland go in the World Cup? "I don't think they are good enough to win it. But they could be semi-finalists and maybe worthy finalists," says Dwyer.

But if you are looking for potential World Cup winners, Bob Dwyer has a surprise nation in mind.

"I have to say that, for me, South Africa have absolutely improved out of sight in the last 12 months," he says. "A year or more ago, their execution of almost everything was almost completely incorrect. Okay, their set plays were pretty good but not a lot else was.

"Their catch and pass skills, their running lines and support work at the breakdown were, in almost every instance, incorrect. It was just their phenomenal physical superiority that kept them in the hunt."

But in 2007, according to Dwyer, South African rugby at Test level has undergone a stunning transformation. So much so that quite frankly, he is at a loss to explain it.

"This year there has been a big change in the Springboks' game. I don't know how it has happened. But take the Springboks' support lines at the tackle contest. They used to be so flat that the guy trying to transfer the ball was forced to transfer it like it was coming from a cannon. But things like that and so many others have changed. They are playing a lot, lot better."

So how does Bob Dwyer analyse the South Africans' chances at the Rugby World Cup, starting in September in France? The crease of a smile plays at his lips.

"Mate, I think they could win the World Cup," he says without drama. "But to do that, they need all their best players to be fit and firing. The big problem is, they are a bit short of a fly-half. Butch James is not the perfect answer but he is alright. But they have two very good centres in Jean de Villiers and Jacque Fourie.

"The key thing is not the individuals but the strategy. And they have somehow developed very good running lines. They are also good at maintaining what little depth you need. The disadvantage of being flat in a back line is that it's very easy to become too flat. Now I see them playing tight off the edge of the maul and putting two or three passes together which is very good.

"And as for the defence of the opposition, when you have a gorilla coming at you that can run very fast, you have problems. I think they have several individuals with superhuman physical qualities, including speed."

No prizes for guessing that Dwyer has in mind the likes of Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield and Pierre Spies. The latter, he suggests, runs like a wing; the other two, merely like big centres. And then there's the likes of Os du Randt, that slip of a lad at 1.90m and 125kgs. Is the big 'Os' too old? "Doesn't look like it to me," says Dwyer.

Yet the Australian also has words of warning for Springbok coach Jake White, a man maybe in danger of believing that his heavyweights can do to the world what Heinz Guderian's Panzers did to the Low Countries of Europe in 1940.

"South Africa cannot win the World Cup on physicality alone," insists Dwyer. "But if they keep up the massive improvement in their skills and execution, they can win it. But relying purely on physicality won't be enough.

"If the South Africans have the physical qualities for which they are renowned and they have also got the technical perfection, they can win the World Cup. For me, last Saturday night in Melbourne when the Wallabies beat the All Blacks continued to sow the seed of doubt in my mind about New Zealand.

"I believe the All Blacks have been steadily but minutely playing worse month by month for the last 18 months. They are clearly still the best side in the world, but they are clearly beatable. Whether they will still be the best at the World Cup, I don't know"

Interesting article,i have heard a few people say similar things about him and its not jealousy because apart from being a great player,thats all he has.
    No looks,no charm,no personality,boring.
    Even in that programme when they were inside the Irish team,his captains speeches where truly awful and would never inspire me,whereas O'Connells most certainly would.

Good point about how New Zealand seem to be slowly getting worse over the last 18 months albeit in tiny bits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

so he coached him for one game (a glorified friendly at that) and Dwyer got all that from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

SA a 'suprise' nation? Hardly, anyone watching the rugby for the last year (especially last 6 months) should have picked up on that.

Also, saying Darcy lives off BODs scraps seems to suggest he really doesn't watch that much Irish rugby. I also don't know why he says are lineout is too short, its definitely one of the best in the world. But would probably put SA ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Hold on... An Aussie is accusing anybody of being smug...

Pots and Kettles spring to mind.

As for the quote about BO'D's strengths being his flaws, perchance Dwyer has been reading 1984?

Essentially the article boils down to 'BOD didn't learn anything from my amazing coaching techniques, the smug git!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Rise above it guys. This is just typical Aussie sledging in advance of the World Cup. They're only doing it to annoy us.

Dwyer's a whinging bollox. Always was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dwyer's comes off as the conceited one. I'm a class coach and BOD didn't appreciate it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

ha...i was at the south africa vs australia match in sydney there a bit ago(im on holiday over here) and...well australia dont realy seem to be much of a winning side either! during the first 20 minutes they didnt even seem to know what was going on! conceding 15 points...im not sure what happened to SA then, but they just let their game down! if they had of kept it up they would of certainy destroyed aussi's(i was wearing a australia jersey tomatch but came out nothing but dissapointed)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Ireland lack height in the lineout. What is this guy on, heroin i guess. POC and Donnachadh O Callaghan are tall boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

South Africa a surprise package. I have one word for everyone, IRELAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

muboop1 wrote:
    ha...i was at the south africa vs australia match in sydney there a bit ago(im on holiday over here) and...well australia dont realy seem to be much of a winning side either! during the first 20 minutes they didnt even seem to know what was going on! conceding 15 points...im not sure what happened to SA then, but they just let their game down! if they had of kept it up they would of certainy destroyed aussi's(i was wearing a australia jersey tomatch but came out nothing but dissapointed)

SA left 30 top players at home for the recent game, as they did for their European tour. I think O'Dwyer is always interesting to read or listen to even if he is not always right. I agree with the O'Gara comment. As regards O'Driscoll he has had a couple of very quiet seasons which is disappointing for someone of his quality IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hmmm....NZ trounced SA 33-6 today after the Boks folded late on...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nick wrote:
    Hmmm....NZ trounced SA 33-6 today after the Boks folded late on...
    Or more importantly, SA got pinged for an infringementm, an identical one that McCaw had made earlier on, the result - SA flanker gets binned, McCaw doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah that's fair enough, only got to see it today actually and to be honest, you'd have to say it was a lot tighter than the score line suggests especially for the first 70 minutes and McCaw not going is bizzare. Considering that wasn't even a SA first 15, it's a pretty impressive performance by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

is_that_so wrote:
    SA left 30 top players at home for the recent game, as they did for their European tour. I think O'Dwyer is always interesting to read or listen to even if he is not always right. I agree with the O'Gara comment. As regards O'Driscoll he has had a couple of very quiet seasons which is disappointing for someone of his quality IMO.

wasnt aware of this! changes my opinion of it entirely! in that case shameis realy on australia! assuming they were a first team??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RuggieBear wrote:
    so he coached him for one game (a glorified friendly at that) and Dwyer got all that from it.

Where as all us boardies havent even coached him for one game but are able to confidently shot him down as a "bull****ter"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Oh look - an obnoxious, self-important, over-opinionated hack from the Southern Hemisphere. They're about as uncommon as, eh, kangaroos. Look closely kids, you may never see one of these again as long as you live (we can only hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daveirl wrote:

I havent read any quotes from his non-current coaches condradicting it.

I havent read any quotes from his non-current coaches condradicting it.
    I think the fact that he is still Leinster and Irish captain says more about that than any soundbite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

LFC5Times wrote:

i have heard a few people say similar things about him and its not jealousy because apart from being a great player,thats all he has.
    No looks,no charm,no personality,boring.
    Even in that programme when they were inside the Irish team,his captains speeches where truly awful and would never inspire me,whereas O'Connells most certainly would.

What kind of ridiculous comment is that? O'Driscoll has been appointed the captain of various teams (Leinster, Ireland, Lions) by several different coaches, all highly respected in their own right. Whats this rubbish about him not having personality etc? You see one 40 second dressing room segment on Reaching for Glory and dismiss his character as boring and captaincy skills as truly awful? How intuitive of you. Also, completely bemused about discussion on looks / charm (!). this is a discussion board about rugby, not Pop Idol.

These stupid throw-away comments irritate me, thats all. Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Sheesh, one comment from Ned, a famous grumbler, about what he thinks of O'Driscoll and it becomes an international sledging match?

Some of you should relax. Its only media filler in the lead up to the comp. Hardly gospel truth. It seems nobody has even bothered to read his comments about the Irish team as a whole and how well they can do.
    As focussed on the real issues as usual, eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

ALH-06 wrote:
    What kind of ridiculous comment is that? O'Driscoll has been appointed the captain of various teams (Leinster, Ireland, Lions) by several different coaches, all highly respected in their own right. Whats this rubbish about him not having personality etc? You see one 40 second dressing room segment on Reaching for Glory and dismiss his character as boring and captaincy skills as truly awful? How intuitive of you. Also, completely bemused about discussion on looks / charm (!). this is a discussion board about rugby, not Pop Idol.

These stupid throw-away comments irritate me, thats all. Rant over.

What are you on about you moron,if you could read properly, my opinion on him wasnt based on that programme it is what a few people i know have said about him including a a present teammate and a past teammate.

So just because you are one of these "Leinnnnnnnnnnnster Supporters" no need to think he is God.

You think the sun shines out of his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

LFC5Times wrote:
    You think the sun shines out of his arse.

It does.
    He's one of the best players this country has had in its ranks in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

LFC5Times banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

RuggieBear wrote:
    LFC5Times banned

good call, no need for malicious behaviour.

Advertisement