Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurants In Co. Limerick?

Options
  • 09-07-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone knows the good ones in Limerick City, so leave those out.

What are the good restaurants around the rest of the county?

(I'll allow borderline Clare restaurants too, so Killaloe, Bunratty, O'Briens Bridge etc. are allowed...)

I was out in The Creamery in Bunratty recently... lovely food and very generous portions.

Goosers in Killaloe (restaurant, not bar!) is very nice too. I eat in the bar about once every 2 or 3 months, and its very nice too, but there is something special about the restaurant....

Any others? I'm not too familiar with the west of the county - any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I found the Woodlands out in Adare to be pretty decent enough. The Sunday afternoon buffet is good value for money too but it does get very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

as bazz said there the woodlands is lovely..i found timmy macs in the hotel is superb, great choice and a lovely vegetarian selection too..

but another fantastic restaurant for a very special night out is the mustard seed in ballingarry...expensive but worth it!!

bulgaden castle near kilmallock is nice as is the olde bakehouse in bruff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Quality of the food in the Woodlands is very inconsistent although the main restaurant is pretty good (not the bar restaurant the a la carte one) - Mustard Seed wins hands down - worth every penny great food great service - some of the places mentioned in previous posts change hands every couple of months these days so you can't be guaranteed anything. It's the biggest problem in the business at the moment - it's too easy to lease places these days every Tom Dick & Harry thinks he can run a restaurant and invariably goes tits up after a few months - I know this first hand as I work in the food supply sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The mustard seed in Ballingarry.Top quality.
    The golf club house (at the back of the manor) in the adare manor has top notch grub too

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

good on you panda...i forgot about the golf club house..the carriage house i think its called....

fab food too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The golden thatch in emly is decent

no outstanding ones by any means in my town of hospital

theres a decent chinese in bruff

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

New place in CastleConnell, Tigh Seans. Nice people.

Been there twice, both times were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

27 Church Street in Killaloe is excellent..

I've never been there, but The Cherry Tree in Killaloe (or maybe it's on the Ballina side) by all accounts is the dog's danglies..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

nice place in NCW called Crumbs. More a cafe than restaurant. Don't think it opens in the evenings but been there for lunch and it's gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I love Ti Sean in Castleconnell.
    The Cherry Tree in Killaloe is the best though. Kangaroo! YUM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

rebel72 wrote:
    nice place in NCW called Crumbs. More a cafe than restaurant. Don't think it opens in the evenings but been there for lunch and it's gorgeous

Ya? I thought that it was a chipper. I think it's the place up the laneway. :) only one in NCW.

There is a newish restaurant in Rathkeale (near the BOI) that I heard good things about and there is a new restaurant above McStubber's. Oh the choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

As mentioned in a few previous posts, The Mustard Seed is the business.Great food, great service and a great setting, it's definitely the best restaurant, in my humble opinion, in Limerick, county or city.

The restaurant in Glin Castle is open to the public for bookings this year. Good food in an amazing setting. Make sure you stop off in Shaughnessy's pub in the village for a drink beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

The Rathkeale House Hotel do a nice bar menu but I'm not sure how good value for money it is. Still, last time I ate there I had ciabatta steak sandwich for less than a tenner so that's not bad ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The four i would recommend are

The Mustard Seed, Ballingarry
    Bloomers, Rathkeale
    Golden Dragon, Adare
    Tao Tao, Patrickswell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Alo's in listowel is well worth the trip! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Whats that? A 2 hour drive from Limerick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Mr E wrote: »
    Whats that? A 2 hour drive from Limerick? :)

Not from County Limerick it isn't! (some parts anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

You really want a fine dining experience in Co Limerick? If you do then I suggest you pay a visit to Superbites in NCW, the staff only speak Clingon so there is a good chance they will f**k up your order and give you the wrong change, and the place is a magnet for every scumbag and nakker in a 10 mile radius. I also have a feeling that the crane machine is f**kin rigged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Miguel23

Well there Limerick just so happens to be the home of the best country house in the country! It's a bit fancy but the food is fab and really generous portions... The MUstard Seed in Ballingarry, Co.Limerick... Worth a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

panda100 wrote: »
    The mustard seed in Ballingarry.Top quality.

+1

I also recommend the Cherry Tree in Ballina, great food,, excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 garylarson

The Old Church in Doon Co Limerick is fab, situated in the old protestant church at the foot of the village it's got a decent early bird, great a la carte and Sunday lunch, well worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smiles2008

cmurph wrote: »
    as bazz said there the woodlands is lovely..i found timmy macs in the hotel is superb, great choice and a lovely vegetarian selection too..

but another fantastic restaurant for a very special night out is the mustard seed in ballingarry...expensive but worth it!!

bulgaden castle near kilmallock is nice as is the olde bakehouse in bruff.

I have to agree with bazz. The Mustard Seed in Ballingarry is lovely. You'll get great food even if it is that bit more expensive. The Woodlands is also very good and has both a restaurant and bistro depending on what you fancy. They are also holding a singles dinner dating evening soon which looks quite cool. Check out www.limerickspeeddating.com

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

La Ragazzi in the Market Yard, Newcastle West is really good. Probably the only Italian restaurant on this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The River Run in Killaloe is so nice, small bistro, the night I was there I had a baked white chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert that I'm still craving 3 or 4 months down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

+1 for the river run in Killaloe, Excellent menu, small and friendly bistro. And about 5 min walk from the house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Has anyone been or any advice/recommendations for Bunratty Manor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I have been to the Mustard Seed in Ballingarry a couple of times and although I would agree that the food is great the portions are on the small side. I understand this is fine dining but i hate having to carry the packed lunch with me for the drive home. That aside, i do like the drink in the drawing room before the meal.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Dunraven Arms hotel in Adare. They do a great meal and a very good wine menu - the bar before hand also serves a lovely drink.

Also the Deven Inn outside Newcastle West - stay clear of the Sunday carvery!!

There was also a pub in the Town Centre in Shannon that did a great (daily) carvery.

Bon appetite.

Advertisement