Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Whos got Broadband???

Options
  • 09-07-2007 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

So who has home broadband?? I live in Tarmonbarry and am trying to get it in, just wondering who is the best to go with?? options are limited, 3 broadband, vodafone (both wireless) and lastmile.ie seem to be the only options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

using lastmile here in X. Have a look on the broadband forum for info on the new datacard offerings from the mobile operators. Lastmile has improved lately. The service is pretty reliable and speeds remaining good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah thanks, i ahve been reading the pros and cons of different broadbanders on that forum, just thought i might get some regional feedback here :) iv decided to go with 3, have a 14day money back if it dosnt work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I'm based about half way between the two of yee and we're with eircom broadband. Just got it yesterday so no complaints yet. The "speed" is 56 Mbps compared to around 40kbs that we had with the standard phoneline.

according to the eircom site i cant get their broadband.i installed 3 yesterday......lookin like il be uninstalling it fairly lively!i was getting a massive 5kbps yesterday evening, peaking at 19kbps. have a 14 day money back gurantee anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I got Gaelic Telecom broadband which is operated by Imagine.
    €20 per month always on.
    Dunno bout speed or anythin but its fairly fast and have yet to reach download limits yet. plus it also helps the local gaa club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

Hi I am serching for wireless broadband myself at the moment my options are very limited I live in the arsehole of nowhere, I have tried lastmile there is a tree in the way so I cant get that was just wondering does 3 broadband have a website I cant seem to locate them on the web.

http://www.three.ie/index.htm

you can see coverage map there by entering your town etc.
    i have it in tarmonbarry, not great, but its has got me out of a hole and i hope it improves in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

What's the story with broadband in Roscommon town, I'm moving down from Galway City in the next couple of weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I've had a go at getting ADSL but am just over 8km from the exchange (Strokestown) so it's not looking great. A very helpful Eircom engineer was out checking things and they're talking about having to lay cable also. I have a feeling that will be expensive ('twas the impression from the engineer) so I'm probably going to look to other options. Lastmile is out of the question at the moment as we're surrounded by trees. So it looks like 3 broadband (maybe they'll ramp the power up at the cell in Scramogue) which does work here (my sister has 3 broadband in Dub and happy enough with it, borrowed her modem to test) though nothing spectacular (just about beats dial up as far as I can tell at the moment). As much as I like being back in Ireland - I miss my 30mb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

seabee wrote: »
    I'm based about half way between the two of yee and we're with eircom broadband. Just got it yesterday so no complaints yet. The "speed" is 56 Mbps compared to around 40kbs that we had with the standard phoneline.

Not sure if i'm right about this but I think the 56Mbps is just from your computer to your router (Broadband Modem)

The actual speed of the broadband would only be 1mbps, 2mbps up to 5 or 6mbps. Which is still fast, compared to my 52.0kbps dial-up LoL:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MTG Ros

Don't touch Last Mile.

If you are looking for Wireless try Brisknet Broadband. They are situated on the Racecourse Road. Not too pricey in the town itself I think €24 a month, little dearer outside the town. but from what I can gather your house must be in line of site of a mast.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

seabee wrote: »

Thats the speed between your laptop and wifi router.
    Use www.speedtest.net to test your actual speed.

To the OP, I'd avoid Lastmile like the plague, had them for long enough and its a pathetic over-priced, over-contended service. Their customer support doesn't exist either. If You have a problem they'll just tell you to get your pc fixed and deny any problem, thats when You can actually get to talk to someone. Avoid, Avoid Avoid.

Advertisement