Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware laptop keeps overheating.

Options
  • 07-07-2007 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

A friend of mine gave me his alienware laptop to try and fix but I'm stumped. Initially it would show nothing on screen when turned on so I took it apart but couldn't see anything physically wrong. Last night I turned it on and it booted no problem so I rebooted and again it started no problem, at this time it was getting worrying hot so I rebooted again only to be back to square one. Has anyone else experienced this or is it isolated to this laptop. It's not been overclocked and it's a P4 chip. I think that it's the video card at fault along with the cooling system. Any feedback would be appreciated guys.
    Thanks,
    Ouldscratch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Check if the fan is moving fast enough to cool it. It might be running at a reduced rate! Also check the heat sink paste and replace if needed. I had a problem with over heating in an Acer Ferrari 3400 and the problem was the sinks. Also get a compressed air canester and give a spray to any inaccessable areas there might be a build up of dust that you cant see.

If all else fails I rekon you could buy a fan station to place under the laptop which gives a surprising level of extra cooling, they are really cheap too. You can get mains of battery powered ones for about 30 quid.

Hope this helps best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I'd suspect heat as been the problem too. I had a very similar symptom with an old Toshiba. Used to cut out and refuse to start up for a while. Turned out the fan was been blocked by a few thick layer of dust. Looked like a piece of carpet. Cleaned it out and had no problems afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

I think that i am having the same problem with mine. Although my computer runs ok if i turn the hardware acceleration down to nothing. I just can't play any games, well except Football Manager. There was no dust in mine though and computer seems to stay the same temp as well tho....so maybe im not having the same problem...but I know that sometimes I can't boot it up either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

which system is it and how old?

Advertisement