Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL in the USA

Options
  • 06-07-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this question has been asked before. I have about 10 hours completed towards PPL(A) down in Cork, but due to time and financial restrictions, I would like to go to the US to do it finish it all in one go. My question is this, what are the options for getting a JAA PPL in the US. I am doing the IAA written exams and ground school here in Ireland, so would it be possible to just do approx. 35 hours in the States, following the JAA PPL requirements, or must you get an FAA licence and convert it?

Any help/comments/info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You need to find a school that is JAA aflilated, i.e. some JAA member states authority has accredited the flight training organisation.
    The CAA have accredited a number of FTOs stateside, one I know was in Californaia and the others were in Florida: Ormond Beach, Orlando Flight Training. Not sure if Naples Air Center has got their JAA sorted out again?

You would end up with a CAA issued ppl and not an IAA issued ppl.
    That would also mean your examiner was CAA and your exam results would have been submitted to the CAA.

Alternatively you could get an FAA ppl and still fly VFR back here.
    You have to do FAA flight test, FAA written and FAA oral exams. The IAA exams mean nothing to FAA.

Where it becomes troublesome is if you want to proceed further with your training and go professional.

As always when checking out any of these FTOs do not bulk pay up front for your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

fixed wing?helicopter?blimp?micro-light? give us a clue! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

PPL(A) / Fixed Wing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

OP before you go off and pay and do the exams here, check if you will really go to US to do PPL and flight test.

I know from experience IAA are a bit sticky on going to US and claiming hours for part of your PPL, they maintain you should do them all here.
    As far as I know JAA maintain that all training hours and exams for a license should be done under the jurisdiction of one authority, e.g IAA or CAA.
    If you are doing CAA JAA ppl then you will probably have to do exams for CAA.
    I am not sure if you can transfer the exams between JAA state?
    This is bit of minefield.
    Continue to study but check about the exams. No sense throwing money away, much better to spend it flying.

Advertisement