Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Storm 5th July 2007

Options
  • 05-07-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

A squall apparently capsized 91 boats in the irish a while ago:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6274476.stm
    110 children had to be rescued! Did anyone experience a squall earlier? Just benign rain here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wind really gotten up here, haven't heard the wind indoors like this since winter, drizzle falling but being blown hard by the wind.

It feels like autumn to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks like we're in for a stormy night. Was really warm for a while about 5pm but has gone downhill since. Could be some damage tonight - strong winds when the trees are in full leaf.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just went for a little stroll.
    Its fantastic outside here, the wind noise in the trees is deafening, there are leaves flying around everywhere and the smell of forest in the air is completely enveloping, wonderful!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mighty windy.

Mean 31 Gust 54mph.

Easily my highest ever figures for summer. Watching the trees is amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Whoa, it's like a typical winter storm out there except the trees are in full leaf so you hear the wind more. I've just lost another branch off a willow tree in the back garden and the birch trees are bending backwards, this is possibly the windiest I've ever seen it in summer.

• Advertisement

I notice it's calm in NI though:
    http://xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

rc28 wrote:
    I notice it's calm in NI though:
    http://xcweather.co.uk/
    Thats closer to the centre of the LP,winds tend to be stronger on the southern flank of LP here.Wind should pick up soon enough in NI.

Just back from a walk with muttly and several branches are down and being blown across the roads.Trees are in full leaf and it not taking much for branches to snap off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea very windy here, the tree's really sway when a gust comes along!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This Summer is shaping up to be as wet as the Summer of 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

just like the rest of you im just back from a walk and the wind is mighty, my bedding plants are flat in the beds my trees are bending like rubber. and i notice quite a wind chill my ears were frozen. if you woke up from a coma you would be forgiven for thinking its october.

• Advertisement

Ok the noise of the wind sounds incredible now(actually worrying), you should've seen how much the trees were bending over, even the big old mature ones! It's a pity it's dark or I would've filmed it I wouldn't be surprised to find trees down tomorrow morning, this is serious wind for summer time.

We can all see now why trees lose their leaves in the winter!! Very stormy here!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

wow!!!!! Im getting some severe gusts here now, lights starting to blink, id imagine the roads are quite dangerous tonight. im going to tuck up in bed and listen to the sounds of mother nature roaring through the trees.
    (another huge gust my veg patch is thorn to shreds)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

was sitting at the laptop in the kitchen. There had been some bangs going on with the wind when all of a sudden, I heard metal crashing. The big seat/swing thingy with canopy had been lifted clean off the ground and smashed against the wall. Metal twisted everywhere. VERY large plant pots everywhere, chairs upturned. Garden looking VERY VERY messy. Took in what we could but too late to save the seat/swing. Ironically, it was bought on the second last day of the lovely weather back in April/May and it has only been used once since!!!:mad:

Posts moved.
    Post on your current obs or general storm chat here.

Gusting continuously over 30mph.Mean is up to 24mph.
    Hanging baskets out the back hanging no more.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Windy indeed it is

Howling through house, wonder will there be any damage come dawn..

50mph gusts are fairly decent for this time of year

Lol, for a minute I thought my account had been stolen as I never started this thread like it appears to show:D

on topic,Still very windy here.

rc28 wrote:
    Lol, for a minute I thought my account had been stolen as I never started this thread like it appears to show:D

on topic,Still very windy here.
    yeah i stole it and now that i have your password and access to your pc i can.......;) :D
    Stripped posts from other thread and yours the first thats on topic is why it appears that way.

Wind has died down somewhat but a clean up tomorrow for sure.Weak storm by winter standards but for summer its up there.

Ther is some very heavy radar echoes in NI and the metoffice have a warning out:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

V Large branch torn off a tree here in my garden - chainsaw time....!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The wind killed my phoneline shortly after my last message above. I probably won't see Eircom till monday. So probably will be offline till at least then.

At my brother's house at moment.

These were by far the strongest winds I've recorded in summer.

Previous highest was 48mph, probably during a squall in August 2005.

My previous highest gust in July was 41mph.

Thursday night I recorded 54mph with mean up to 31mph, with regular gust above 50mph.

It destroyed the current picking of raspberries, stripped the runner beans, flattened some of the sweet corn. Some big branches down.

Advertisement