Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the status of the 747/748 using the Port Tunnel?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing a thread recently regarding some buses, including the 747/748, now using the Port Tunnel, and then after that the thread went on a bit of a tangent discussing some other services not being able to use it because they didn't have a licence or some such nonsense.

I can't remember now if the 747/748 was included in that, or whether they're still using it, and as I'm off to the airport on Saturday mid-afternoon, I'd like to know what the expected journey time is. The dublinbus.ie website says 35 minutes, but is that using the PT, or not?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

I think the 747/748S are still using it but they only use it when heading back into town from the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Traffic wrote:
    I think the 747/748S are still using it but they only use it when heading back into town from the airport
    Why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭markpb

747 picks up on O'Connell st on it's way to the airport, it'd be a bit awkward to get to DPT from there. I'm not sure about 748.

Unless there's something on in Croke park, I doubt it would make much difference on Saturday afternoon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Definately the 747's use it going into town. Used it the other day. Cant say on the other way, I just assumed they go the same way, but looking back on it, I think the route waws different on the map alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Got 747 from Busaras on Tuesday evening (~16:40) and it went through the Port Tunnel and took about 20 minutes

The destination display on Dublin bound buses now say Busaras via Port Tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for that everyone. My knowledge of the geography of anything north of the Liffey is sketchy at best, so despite having been on the 747 a few times now, I haven't a clue what route it took before the DPT was built, let alone how to get to it from O'Connell Street :)

In the past I've allowed 1 hr 45 mins or thereabouts to get to the airport from Bray using the 145/747, I was hoping I might be able to reduce it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Apologies for the zombie thread bump but..... do all the 747s (or perhaps only some?) orginating from Busaras now go via the Port tunnel?

dublinbus.ie still gives me no clues.

I usually hop on a O'Connell St 747, however seeing as im travelling on a weekday evening tomorrow around 7pm, i figured it may be well worth getting on one at Busaras instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

SofaK wrote: »
    Apologies for the zombie thread bump but..... do all the 747s (or perhaps only some?) orginating from Busaras now go via the Port tunnel?

I usually hop on a O'Connell St 747, however seeing as im travelling on a weekday evening tomorrow around 7pm, i figured it may be well worth getting on one at Busaras instead?

Outbound, the bus starts at Busarus and routes via O'Connell Street. It then (in my experience) mainly operates via Dorset Street and Drumcondra (and not via the Port Tunnel) as there are bus lanes for the vast majority of the route so it does not get held up much.

In practice, it uses the Port Tunnel inbound most of the time, except for very early mornings and in the evenings when there are no traffic holdups in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

SofaK wrote: »

I got the 747 from Busaras last Wednesday morning at about 9:30. It took almost as long to get up the quays to O'Connell Street than it did to get from the airport from O'Connell to the airport via Dorset Street/Drumcondra!

I got the 748 back the following day and it went through the Port Tunnel.

I was on a 747 to the airport a few weeks ago and it left Busaras, went up to O'Connell Street to make it's pick up and then crossed over the street and ended up going down to the Port Tunnel via some back road (might have been Sheriff Street?). It seems to be up to the drivers as to how they approch it.

The best stop to get the 747/748 outbound is from O'Connell Street. Both routes serve this stop and you won't be waiting on the quays in traffic.

They tend to route via the Port Tunnel outbound when there is either a match on in Croke Park or if there is severe congestion in the Drumcondra/Whitehall areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

KC61 wrote: »
    The best stop to get the 747/748 outbound is from O'Connell Street. Both routes serve this stop and you won't be waiting on the quays in traffic.

Are you sure? My experience of the 748 is that it runs directly down the quays to Busaras, then onto the Airport - either via Port Tunnel or the old routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up getting the 747 from O'Connell St anyway, as i was in a bit of a rush for my flight. Bus was late-ish arriving but very quick as usual.

Fingers-crossed im lucky enough to grab myself a port tunnel-bound 747 from Busaras next time around :)

MiniD wrote: »
    Are you sure? My experience of the 748 is that it runs directly down the quays to Busaras, then onto the Airport - either via Port Tunnel or the old routing.

I am, because twice recently I've caught the 748 in O'Connell Street. The route was changed late last year to operate via O'Connell Street. Drivers basically are then free to take the fastest route, once all stops are served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I got the 747 from the airport to O Connell St (and back) in late January. It didnt use the Port Tunnel either way, which annoyed me as I wanted to go down it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

The majority of 748's operate from Heuston, South Quays and up O'Connell St., the only ones to serve Busaras outbound are the departures where a driver change is taking place as airlink handovers take place at Busaras.

Advertisement