Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps roadnames?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to contact Google if a road name is wrong on google maps?

The Port Tunnel has suffered the ignominy of being relegated from a motorway with its own name to being the N1, later becoming Fairview Green, back to just N1 and then morphing into Gracepark Road under well... Gracepark road before apparently surfacing at Whitehall church.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

The new M8 Fermoy bypass is on google maps as being the N8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

In Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, they have the wrong name for a shopping centre. Roselawn Shopping Centre is actually just south of Roselawn Glade, a little west of the marked location.

Maybe contact Tele Atlas, the providers of the map data.

Edit: Tele Atlas seem to have a Map Feedback site just for stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

markpb wrote:
    Does anyone know how to contact Google if a road name is wrong on google maps?

The Port Tunnel has suffered the ignominy of being relegated from a motorway with its own name to being the N1, later becoming Fairview Green, back to just N1 and then morphing into Gracepark Road under well... Gracepark road before apparently surfacing at Whitehall church.

Added to that the Port Tunnel should be shown as the M50 and not the N1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

daveirl wrote:

Still wrong...... It's calling the section between the port tunnel exit and M50-J2 as M1........ Should be M50

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

daveirl wrote:

They all get their data from the same sources, either Navteq or Tele Atlas (or often both).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

KC61 wrote:
    Added to that the Port Tunnel should be shown as the M50 and not the N1.
    According to the NRA the port Tunnell is the M50 the signs at the entrance to the porttunnell says its the M50. So google are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭markpb

jjbrien wrote:
    According to the NRA the port Tunnell is the M50 the signs at the entrance to the porttunnell says its the M50. So google are correct.

Google have it marked as (among other things) the N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

markpb wrote:
    Google have it marked as (among other things) the N1.
    I think they use navteq I have a garmin gps which uses navteq maps as well and frequently find the wrong names on roads so it would not supprise me at all. 2 N1S you cant have that its like navteq never renamed the N4 to the R number it got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

jjbrien wrote:
    No one is arguing about the Name of the Port Tunnel....It is the M50!!!
    But Google is WRONG!!! It say the N1. See here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

daveirl wrote:
    Didn't know Yahoo had maps, just had a look.

Full of mistakes, no Port Tunnel or outer ring road, or M8 Fermoy, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

daymobrew wrote:
    Edit: Tele Atlas seem to have a Map Feedback site just for stuff like this.
    Thanks for the link - just spent a pleasant few mins telling them how wrong their maps are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

For some reason Google Earth is displaying all the place names in Ireland, or at least a random selection of them, as Gaeilge.

It's very annoying as even as an Irish person I don't recognise half of them.

I know it's our official first language etc, but how about a bit of pragmatism and put the names as Gaelige as the alternative names, at least outside the Gaeltacht areas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

Love google earth for putting an airport practically in wexford town centre!! a friend of mine's house would be in the terminal or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus, it's arseways alright. :rolleyes:

The R132 (old N1) near Blake's Cross is labeled as Turvey Avenue and then Killhedge Lane!!

(Turvey Avenue and Killhedge Lane are roads to the East of the R132).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

daveirl wrote:

Microsoft Maps are also pretty good I find: http://local.live.com

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

spacetweek wrote:
    or M8 Fermoy, etc.

The road itself is actually there, unlike with some other online maps. Google do seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to newly built roads. Unfortunately they do get the designations arseways; the Fermoy bypass is marked as the N8 rather than the M8. It also has the new Dundalk to Border project marked, but it's the M1 the whole way to the border rather than M1/N1.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Stark wrote:
    The road itself is actually there, unlike with some other online maps. Google do seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to newly built roads. Unfortunately they do get the designations arseways; the Fermoy bypass is marked as the N8 rather than the M8. It also has the new Dundalk to Border project marked, but it's the M1 the whole way to the border rather than M1/N1.

Ahead of the game is right... they had the Gorey bypass up a few days before it opened :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement