Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plane crash in Galway

Options
  • 05-07-2007 3:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

any more on this I just heard it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PushTheButton

A plane carrying up to eight people missed the runway when landing at Aerfort na Minna in Connemara.

Emergency services are attending the scene and it is understood that there may be people still on board.

The plane is understood to be a charter plane and not one of the Aer Arann fleet.

AdvertisementAerfort na Minna is the main airport for Aer Arann planes serving the Aran Islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Two of the passengers have been described as being seriously injured. Emergency services are attending the scene.
    (RTE)

I hope they're ok.

I've been on that wee plane* a few times!

*one of those wee planes, I presume there's more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I work in Spiddal, a ton of emergency services have been heading out there including 2 rescue helicopters.

2 seriously injured according to RTE. Hope its not *too* serious.

jebus people being cut out.. spinal injuries...

I'm getting worried... time to make a few phone calls:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

just read it there, hope all is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Best wishes to the crew and passengers.

I thought we were going to have to scrape a G550 of the runway last week at work. It banked pretty severely just after rotating and wasn't gaining altitude! Pilot was avoiding a huge flock of birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

2 people are dead according to 2FM :(

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

From The evening Echo :http://www.eveningecho.ie/news/bstory.asp?j=224364682&p=zz4365388&n=224365442

Four people were seriously injured today after a plane crash in Connemara, emergency services have confirmed.

Two of the injured were taken by helicopter to University College Hospital Galway (UCHG) for treatment while others were transported by ambulance.

The incident happened around 2.45pm when the small plane missed the runway after trying to land at Aerfort na Minna, near Inveran, around 25 miles west of Galway City.

It is understood eight people were on board and it is believed some of the passengers were Irish.
    Two emergency consultants and a nurse from UCHG are treating the injured at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

two people confirned dead according to sky news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

9 on board, a Cessna Caravan according to RTE's Six-One.

PS. hobie, have you a full size pic of the one in your signature?

It looks like it was a group of men on a day trip to Inis Meáin. God what a phone call for their families to be getting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

It really is awful:( Best wishes to all involved. I have loved aircraft since the day I was born, and they are my future. You just try and keep accidents like this to the back of your head when you fly, but they show the ugly side of aircraft. Again, best wishes to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

ScabbyLeg wrote:
    9 on board, a Cessna Caravan according to RTE's Six-One.

PS. hobie, have you a full size pic of the one in your signature?

Sorry SL ..... I lost a lot of Photo's some years ago due to a PC going to God and me not being as good as I should with backups .....

Photo's can be really priceless and you fail to backup at your peril :( .... I know that now .... we live and learn .... :cool:

best I can offer is this ( a small file I had posted somewhere) ..... http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/383/0808200161es7.jpg

0808200161es7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

littlebug wrote:
    It looks like it was a group of men on a day trip to Inis Meáin. God what a phone call for their families to be getting :(

Thoughts and prayers are with everybody, i have been told it was a chartered Biz AC Operating out of Weston and that the Pax were en route to view the new Clifden Airport under construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

hobie wrote:
    Sorry SL ..... I lost a lot of Photo's some years ago due to a PC going to God and me not being as good as I should with backups .....

Photo's can be really priceless and you fail to backup at your peril :( .... I know that now .... we live and learn .... :cool:

best I can offer is this ( a small file I had posted somewhere) ..... http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/383/0808200161es7.jpg

0808200161es7.jpg
    Didn't you have a picture of an airbus in that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

hobie wrote:

Thanks for that, it's a nice shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It was Weston Based Cessna Caravan N208EC. Has only been based here for the last 12 or so months

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

terrible news, was the weather bad? strong winds in dublin right now so i'm assuming it was like this in galway earlier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would say it was a crosswind from the sea caught him , the wind had started to gust badly around that time and the runway in Minna is short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We can only surmise at this stage what occurred and we should wait for the IAA report.

I just happened to catch interview with aviation journalist on Newstalk 106. The interviewer asked if all these aviation incidents and accidents lately were down to pilot training.
    Comments like that are not helpful and very ill considered at a time like this.

What beats me is why can't these eejits keep their mouths shut when they don't have an idea what they are on about?

My condolences to the families and friends of the deceased.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

I believe that the Pilot was taking a ground of business men from Galway for a flight, as they were interested in buying the plane. There was fog and strong winds around at the time and the conditions for flying were very poor.

R.I.P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Three disastors yesterday, oh well... Poor guys.

Advertisement