Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korean schools (Hogwon's)....Visa process?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

My question is related to teaching in Korea so if you don't know anything about it, or aren't interested in the topic...then please stop reading now before you get bored.

I already posted my question into the Korean language forumn but couldn't get a good answer, so i'm trying here as my question is teaching related (TEFL).

I spent a year teaching in a private language school in Korea (they're known as "Hogwons"). Last time i used an Irish recruiter to find me a job and sort out my visa and stuff. This time i'm looking for jobs myself on the web. So my question is in relation to WHAT steps one needs to take to get a Visa sorted out yourself.

Does the Korean school issue you with your visa number, which you then take to the Korean Embassy? Does the Korean school need to see your actual Degree Certs or will certified copies suffice?

What steps did you take from picking a school on the internet...to eventually arriving at the school? How long do these steps take? (I plan on going back to Korea for September 1st.)

(p.s. Im more interested in Hogwons than public schools.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Anthony11

Shinto wrote:

Does the Korean school issue you with your visa number, which you then take to the Korean Embassy?
    Yes...(well not exactly, Korean immigration will issue you a visa number )
    Does the Korean school need to see your actual Degree Certs or will certified copies suffice?
    Visa rules are changing constantly (and often depend on the individual immigration official you get!) so it's best to send your original degree to be sure.
    What steps did you take from picking a school on the internet...to eventually arriving at the school? How long do these steps take? (I plan on going back to Korea for September 1st.)

I've never signed a contract outside of Korea. I've always flown to korea first and then started looking for a job. That way you get to speak to people directly, get a feel for the school, see your apartment etc.
    I guess if you start the process now you could have your visa sorted by September though. One thing I'd insist on is talking to a foreign teacher at the school before you sign anything. I'm currently working in Busan so if your interested in finding a job here pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If i recall correctly my friends had to go to the Korean Embassy (near the US one) in Dublin with their degree certs and someone in the embassy made a certified copy. I'm not sure what else they needed but I'm sure when you apply for a job your employer will tell you what you need to do. I remember they also signed a contract before they left and faxed it to Korea, don't know if this is standard procedure.

People always say good things about ESL but if you want to do it independantly I'd say just get as much info about the school of the net as possible, there's lots of TEFL forums etc

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Thanks very much.

I found out precise info from the Korean Embassy in Dublin the other day. They told me what to do. Here's the procedure to get a degree notarized (if you dont want to send original degree to korea):....

I photcopied my Degree and got that copy notarized by an 'public notary' (a type of solicitor) in Galway (that cost 10 Euro). Then i went to the 'Office of the Supreme Court' in the Four Courts in Dublin, and got the notarized copy stamped (for free). Then i went to the Dept.of Foreign Affairs and got the copy stamped again (that cost 20 Euro, took about 30 mins). Then last i went to the Korean embassy and paid just 2 Euro....they kept the copy over night and then stamped it. I collected it the next day.

So i will post that notarized copy instead of the original (with my sealed transcripts and signed contract).

If i agree to work with a school. I'll have to print out their contract (they'll send it by email) and then i will sign it, and scan it, and email it back to them. [Or maybe i'll have to post it by FedEx with the other stuff]. Then the school will go to Korean Immigration office and start organising my visa. Then after about a week, i'll get a phone call giving me the visa issuancnce number. I then go to the Korean Embassy in Dublin with my passport, that number, and 50 Euro. They keep the passport for a few days. When i collect it, im ready to go.

Thanks for your help. See ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blade30

Shinto wrote:
    Then i went to the 'Office of the Supreme Court' in the Four Courts in Dublin, and got the notarized copy stamped (for free). Then i went to the Dept.of Foreign Affairs and got the copy stamped again (that cost 20 Euro, took about 30 mins).
    I don't think that this is really necessary.
    Shinto wrote:
    photcopied my Degree and got that copy notarized by an 'public notary' (a type of solicitor) in Galway (that cost 10 Euro).
    Anyone else doing this would be well advised to get a few copies done at the same time as it's not that uncommon for degrees to get lost and you will need it again when you want renew your visa.
    Shinto wrote:
    (p.s. Im more interested in Hogwons than public schools.)
    May I ask why you prefer Hogwons? I thought conditions in public schools were much better and you get more days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Hi Blade30,

First point you made......yes you're right it's not necessary to get a notarized copy. You can simply post off you're original degree. But it could get lost in the post. To get a notarized copy, one MUST follow the steps that i outlined (i got those instructions from the Korean Embassy themselves).

Second point you made...you're right. I should have gotten a few copies!!! I'll do it next year.

Third point you made?....yes Public Schools have a much better reputation for reliability and security. However, you will most likely be the ONLY non-Korean in the school. At least in Hogwons you have 5 to 15 western teachers to keep you company. The social side is important, especially when you first arrive in the country. Your western colleagues give you help and guidence for the first few weeks, not to mention inviting you to parties at the weekend.

Also, hogwons have afternoon hours (2pm till 10pm ). Very important for someone like me who likes to stay up late.

Also, they are the biggest employer in terms of numbers, so if you want to live in a specific area, you're more likely to find a hogwon there than a Public School.

My laptop battery is running out. Must go. See ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brightside

Hi Guys!

I'm going travelling next week and have plan to end up in Sth. Korea in February with a view to teaching in Seoul for a year.

I've been advised to wait until I'm in Seoul to start the jobhunt as you're better able to check out your options, see the schools etc.

I thought it was possible to get the visa once I've found a job, and will not need to organise it before home. Is this true? If so, I presume I need to bring some documentation, anyone know what the exact requirements are, or where to find out? I find the Korean embassy site a bit vague. I'm thinking criminal background check and copy of my degree?

Any help much appreciated.

Shinto, presume you're due to leave soon if you're starting in September, if so good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Hey there..

I have been teaching English in Korea for 4 years and I will probably go back there again around March/ April next year.. Came back home to see how things are going with the possibility of staying here but I miss Korea too much and Ireland appears to be heading down the drain!!

The rules regarding visas etc are constantly changing. I'd recommend the following site for the most up to date info. http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/
    Go the Job Discussion Forum and you can find out what is the latest info.

There are stickies there regarding exactly what you need or if you like you can sign up and post a thread etc. You will get lots of advice about what exactly you need. The last time I applied to go to Korea..2004 it was with an Irish company (big mistake) and I ended up changing and finding my own job when I landed out there. Back then i got my degree notarised here and all that s...e but I think now what we need is different.

There was talk that you need your Visa before you go but this is not definite. As of now I think what you need is your original degree and academic transcripts from your college/university. They should be sealed with a college stamp as well..

Then I think you need a criminal background check as well..and maybe a medical check..(but again Im not exactly sure) These rules were introduced about 1 year ago but as I was there at the time and not in need of applying for visas..I will need to find out about the new rules myself later on..

I will do some research before I head over but ideally it is better to land out in Korea and look for a job while you are on your 3 month Tourist Visa there. Now I even heard that you can no longer do this so its a grey area and requires some research.

If you do go out there on a tourist visa you can suss the work out and pick and choose. Some jobs have been lost due to financial problems in the companies there so do yer best to be sure that the place is reliable..(large helps).There are some good websites which post loads of teaching jobs in Korea... www.worknplay.co.kr or www.daveseslcafe.com or www.eslteachersboard.com

Let me know how things are going or if there are any specific questions about Korean life ye'd like answered.

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hey, I have a question! I looked into this a few years ago and found the salary to be somewhere around €25k. Now I'm finding it's closer to 16 or 17. This is for someone with degree, tefl, maybe a year or two teaching exp. Is this right? Obviously it's not the most important thing but it's something I have to consider before packing my bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

dory wrote: »
    Hey, I have a question! I looked into this a few years ago and found the salary to be somewhere around €25k. Now I'm finding it's closer to 16 or 17. This is for someone with degree, tefl, maybe a year or two teaching exp. Is this right? Obviously it's not the most important thing but it's something I have to consider before packing my bags!

I never seen the salary to be as high as 25,000 euro per year...

The average salary in the contract is about 2.2million Korean Won per month. Thats about 26,000 US Dollars per year + 1 month bonus at the end of the contract and also free flights and accomodation. Perhaps what you seen was a higher pay without accomodation..which is a possibility? Anyway..the salary has not decreased...It has increased some in the past 5 years. The Korean Won is not worth as much against the Euro as before though...so it may not be as easy to put away so much money each month...(unless you take on private teaching which should put your salary up to or over 25k)..

Check the exchange rates to make sure.. The Korean Won has weakened a lot in recent times. Don't be too hung up on the amount per year etc versus the Euro..Once your in the country you will realise you can live comfortably and save at the same time!!

Advertisement