Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you the person who designed my apartment?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

If so, you think you're such an evil smartárse, don't you. "Hey, lets put the smoke detector right above the oven door so when cornbb opens it, the blast of heat will set it off giving him tinnitus and pissing the whole building off! Waitwait, lets make it a HEAT detector and connect it to the mains so the old tricks of the plastic bag'n'tape or removing the battery don't work! Nor will waving a teatowel at it or opening all the windows and doors! Muhahaha!"

Really though, what amoeba of an architect came up with this? I can't use my oven ffs! Anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Mods: sorry if this is not the most suitable forum but I couldn't find anywhere better and wanted somewhat sympathetic/constructive responses instead of AH-type ones ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Is yours the only apartment in the block with this creatively safe arrangement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Good question. I've just moved in so haven't had a chance to meet the neighbours yet. There are only 5 apartments in the building. I haven't heard any dinnertime shrieks from neighbouring apartments yet though, so perhaps we are the only ones with this problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where do you live? Sounds sweet.

:p it actually is very nice, apart from this one major pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disconnect it - twist it anti clockwise, and it should pop from the roof. Then just unplug the wires from the back, remove the battery, and press the test button to discharge the capacitors. Then you should be able to twist it back onto the ceiling without reinserting the wires (for aethestics obviously). It's not much use to you where it is anyway.

If there's not another one, then buy a non-mains one and stick it in a better position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask your builder / electrician to move it to a different part of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

seamus wrote:
    Disconnect it - twist it anti clockwise, and it should pop from the roof. Then just unplug the wires from the back, remove the battery, and press the test button to discharge the capacitors. Then you should be able to twist it back onto the ceiling without reinserting the wires (for aethestics obviously). It's not much use to you where it is anyway.

Please check with your managing agent to see if the alarms are connected to the main alarm panel before you remove yours. Otherwise it may show as a fault on the board downstairs and cause problems for untold amounts of people.

It may not be connected at all, but we deal with this situation everyday where people remove detectors and then cause problems for the building.

Oh and it is a stupid place to position it for the record :o

connundrum wrote:
    Please check with your managing agent to see if the alarms are connected to the main alarm panel before you remove yours. Otherwise it may show as a fault on the board downstairs and cause problems for untold amounts of people.

It may not be connected at all, but we deal with this situation everyday where people remove detectors and then cause problems for the building.

Oh and it is a stupid place to position it for the record :o

Thats what I was thinking - it must be connected to some sort of system, as other alarms in other parts of the apartment started going off shortly afterwards.

Will have a word with the landlord I think. If nothing can be done I'll concoct some sort of heat shield from asbestos, kryptonite, tinfoil, or a combination of the above.

Advertisement