Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How secure are PVC windows?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Kind of an odd question, but basically our neighbours house was broken into their a couple of weeks ago. She is elderly and lives along and her windows are the old wooden framed ones.

She has since got PVC windows in. So basically my question is aslong as the wondows are locked how easy is it to break into a house with PVC windows and doors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Any window or door will only keep an honest person out.

PVC windows can easily have the glass removed intact if you have the tools to remove the bead and the security clip. About 20 secs in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Ok say for your average knacker you just wants to rob the CVD player who wont have the tools of a cat burglar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

If someone wants to get in they will. How hard is it to break glass?

If someone wants to get in they will. How hard is it to break glass?

I know that but isnt double glazing meant to be harder to break?

Yep, but they'll still get through it if the really want to. The best thing is that it will make some noise. If she's really worried about burglers, get either a dog or that's not possible an alarm system with a panic button.

• Advertisement

We have a dog a german shepherd, but my gf still thinks that someone will try and break in, he sleeps at the back door . As i told her if i was gonna break into a house i break into someones house that didnt head a GSD protecting the back door!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Having PVC windows that are 'internally' glazed is another little feature which will delay the thieving g!ts for another couple secs maybe even minutes.

We have a dog a german shepherd, but my gf still thinks that someone will try and break in, he sleeps at the back door . As i told her if i was gonna break into a house i break into someones house that didnt head a GSD protecting the back door!

I think you are right. Saw a program on tv where they surveyed burglars to see the different things which put them off. Top of the list by a long way, was a dog. Reason being, they are unpredictable. The dog will be far more effective than new windows, but ever little helps. Hope you and your neighbour don't get broken into (again for your neighbour).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that houses that have been burgled, will tend to see their neighbours burgled in the same way in the following months.

Advertisement