Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Merry Christmas from Telecom..."

Options
  • 05-07-2007 5:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Somewhat out of season, I know, but these lyrics have been embedded in my psyche for about 20 years and I needed to unburden myself. Does anyone else remember this Telecom Éireann ad which ran at Christmas in the late 80s/early 90s, featuring Scrooge undergoing a Pauline conversion with the help of a telephone directory? The words were as follows:

"God rest ye, merry gentlemen
    Let nothing you dismay
    Pick up the phone and call direct, there is no better way
    To family and friends your Christmas wishes to convey
    Now it's easier to ring out the old year
    and ring in the new
    Merry Christmas from Telecom to you."

Can anyone date it more precisely or even supply a link? There must have been something memorable about it for it to lodged so irretrievably in my memory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

(I know this is a late reply,but....)
    Yes,I remember that ad fairly well too-I actually kinda liked that ad.I was either in primary school,or starting secondary school-so I'm guessing early 1990s.

I think the words were "....there's no better way to ring out the old year,and ring in the new..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

search youtube maybe?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I remember this. It had Scrooge looking out the window and a group of carol singers singing the song OP mentions and ending with him talking on the phone . For some reason it struck me as very low budget looking.

Advertisement