Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Refund?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    I bought a phone in town last feb for €700 and it has been in for repair 3 times already. its covered under a 1 year warrenty but im getting a bit fed up with these problems and eventually it will run out of warrenty and then ill be stuck with a faulty phone.
    does anyone think im entitled to a refund? i already asked for a replacment phone but they said if it happens again they will give me one but id rather just get my money back and go elsewhere to be honest.,

cheers for the help!.,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you are entitled to a refund or replacement though you may have to settle for replacement if the store are being awkward and you dont wannt go the small claims route.

basically the retailer has been given three seperate repair attempts at fixing your problem so you are now very well within your rights to demand replacement providing fault was not caused by you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

nope., was defo not caused by me., the phone is a nokia N93 and they stopped selling them due to problems with them. it has had 2 camera problems, a battery problem and a freezing problem., i asked for a replacement the first time but they wouldnt give it to me and to be honest i dont want the phone anymore as they will replace it with another n93 which is likely to be the same., i have had it fixed 3 times and its no better so i would rather just have my money back.,

cheers mate,.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

If it breaks again they have to give you a replacement phone , i used to work for o2 and vodafone and this is the case . By the way 3 times is a lot i would be ringing up the help desk asking to speak to the team leader and get some credit on your bill / prepaid account .

it was actually 3G store where i bought it so dunno about getting credit on it as im a vodafone customer. i dont really want to get another N93 from them coz it is likely to give the same problems as they (nokia) still havent sorted the problems with them and my phone has been flashed with the latest firmware everytime it has been sent away. every time i go to leave it in they say it will take a few days and that they will call me when its back, the 2 first times i gave it to them they had recieved it from the repair shop and never bothered to ring me, i had to ring them and then go and collect it. the 3rd time i gave it in i was told it would take a few days and they would call me. i dropped in a few days later and it wasnt there, the bloke said it would be a few more days so i left it and went in a week later but still no sign but he says it will defo be there the following day at 2pm, i droped in 2 days later and he says it hadnt come back and that it will be there tomorow.
    after the second repair i didnt even get out of the shop without finding that the faults were still in the phone.
    im really sick of this phone after all this and i would just prefer to have my money back. ive never had so much hassle with anything i bought until i got this.,

thanks for the advice people.,

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

if i get any thing like that i'll give back straight and ask for replacement but if problem with the product is ongoing issue then better get refund.

• Advertisement

i had a similar problem with my vodafone v1050...completely tured me off the phone and network. although i unfortunately gave up the battle. it was just a sh!t build phone

im collecting the phone today after the 3rd repair so i'll see how that goes, if theres any problems in just gonna insist on getting my money back.,

cheers people.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I had similar problems with a V980, phone kept freezing and just not working, so it was sent for repair 3 times. I was told after the 3rd time it would be replaced so I went through the routine with them. After the 3rd time and the phone still didn't work I asked for a refund or replacement phone and was refused. Vodafone simply told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the phone and so I was entitled to nothing, even though I had the phone in my hand, not working which I showed the manager of the store and everything. Another assistant in the Vodafone store shrugged her shoulders at me and walked away when I asked her what I was meant to do with it.

Anyway, I think your only course of action will be the Small Claims court if you get nowhere with them after this time. I should have done the same but didn't. My phone didn't work from the day I bought it and the problems went on for over 6 months. Again, just a crappy build phone that I didn't want replaced anyway as that probably wouldn't work either.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is a trick in sales where you ask a customer to buy and if they say no three times, keep asking fourth time as theyll probably say yes. As in do not take no for an answer. Stand in front of the sales guy, and insist. insist. insist. that they sort it for you. Be a nice polite thorn in their side who will not go away. You dont need to be angry, just very very insistent. Preferably make this an issue for one particular salesperson, so that you are not getting passed from one to another and told the same stuff. I work in sales and if I have a customer who is dealing with me only, I tend to have to get my finger out and sort out any issues for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

You have my sympathies vtec as i know how frustrating it can. I had pretty much the same problem with my phone only difference being they gave 3(might have been 4)replacement handsets over a 7 month period and each one had the same fault! The last time it played up i went into the shop and told them it had recurred again and told them that i didnt want one of these handsets again and that id like a replacement.(was polite but firm). They messed me around abit over the replacement handset trying to palm me off with a choice of 2 oldish demo models then changing their minds after id picked 1. When i told them i wasnt happy with either one as i wanted a flip phone they offered me a choice of either swapping it for another model to the same value on the shelf or a refund. I asked if they would give me a discount off one of the phones that i liked, they offered me E10 discount-not much but better than nothing! So i took that option.
    My phone was only a E60 jobby and i kept bringing it back until it got resolved to my satisfaction seeing as you paid E700 for yours i would demand my money back, After 3 repairs it is obvious the phone is faulty, and i recall reading on a consumer website that a repair is meant to permanent.
    Good Luck anyway

• Advertisement

thanks everyone., well after going to collect it for the 3rd time the other day they gave me the phone and low and behold, the same problem still in it, then they tell me there has been a mix up since the last repair and because the sales guy just sent it back to the repair shop on the original repair docket they only have a record of 2 repairs on it now. i gave it back to them and they have sent it away again in order to have a replacment phone autherised by the repair shop which they said would take another 2 weeks,. im getting seriously fed up with this from them and they said they dont even have a loan phone they could give to me in the meantime, this in a shop that sells sim free phones? they only had ones that take meteor sims in a 3G shop??.,
    so ive decided that if there is anymore trouble with the replacment phone then im gonna insist on my money back and take them to the small claims court if i have to.,

thanks for the replys everyone.,

vtec to be honest they're completely giving you the run around and whats worse is your accepting it
    they only had ones that take meteor sims in a 3G shop??.,

is the worse excuse i have ever heard (and i've heard some bads ones ;) )

go back in and read them the riot act tell them 2 weeks (which is ridiculous given your problems with it in the first place) is completely unacceptable and they either give you a full refund on the spot or a replacement phone or you will be going to the small claims court to boot.

hi miju,
    i agree, i was pretty pi**ed off about the whole meteor thing as it seemed like complete bull to me but ive been polite for long enough and as soon as it comes back if everything isnt sorted then im gonna fire up. also what gets me is the lack of superiors in these shops, the manager always is convieniently not available..,

i had problems with vodafone in the past and only went to this shop because i didnt want to go back to vodafone. the customer service is usually satisfactory but i just dont get why a phone can be in for repair 3 times with the same thing and still not be fixed.,
    also they said when the phone is replaced it will be with the same handset, but they discontinued this phone because of the problems with it so im not too keen on taking another one from them, i would rather have the money back or even a different phone. will update when they get back to me. cherers,;)

thanks for all the replys everyone.,

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well last week i bought orbit xda of o2 web site and i received on last Friday but xda was faulty rang to customer service got return address and send them xda back with few words

O2 Online Returns,
    SUBJECT: WEB ORDER NO: $£$££"£"
    As per phone conversation with Liz in Customer Service sending you back XDA-Orbit IMIE %$%$£""£"^&*^&$£$£$ which was received on Friday 6th of July 2007 for replacement or refund (I do not want repaired product).

Problem with product is when I press power button display goes off as it should be but when I press power button again to bring display back it never come back, if you want to speak to me or need any other information you can contact me at %$^^%^$%^$£$%.

now today i received mail from o2 that replacement posted.

yeah but they have to replace it immediately if you just recieved it., i had my phone for a few months so its different., i wish i still had my xda, i have the N93 now.,

its actually not different at all vtec the very same consumer right applies in both cases

i was under the impression that if its under 28 days old then your intitled to a replacment and after 28 then they can have it repaired or replaced?.,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Peterpower

Beware sending your phone off to get repaired..you have been warned!!!

I had my blackberry pearl for less than a month when I got the 'data refused' error message. Because I went back after 30 days instead of 28 they wouldnt replace the phone.

I took the hit and sent it off for the two weeks. That was five weeks ago!! I happily waited my 2 weeks, only to spend the next 2 & a half wks running round in circles. Into my 5th week now and still no phone.

Latest is they told me its coming back from repair in 2 days however when I rang the repair shop today directly, they told me my phone is not repairable. The O2 shop were planning to give me a swap out phone which is just a refurbished second-hand phone!!

The O2 customer care so far have been brilliant. They rang the O2 shop today to tell them to give me a brand new replacement phone, the shop is still refusing to do it. So now I have to wait till tomorrow for customer care to ring the shop again and settle it...the pain of it all!

I pity the clerk in the small claims court. When I told him it was O2 experience in Henry street he just sighed. He knows them well. He also said the majority just give in when they are issued with notice from the small claims court. €9 well spent if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

same with all of them, its too expensive to send the lawyer to the small claims court to explain the inexplicable and lose anyway.

€9 is the cost of the small claims court and you do not need a lawyer just read the sale of goods act 1980 stuff in the sticky on top and on the www.odca.ie website. Also bill them for you time off work and parking charges as you wnet to teh shop, teh SCC gave me those expenses every time + the full refund on the goods.

With a contract you are entitled to a full refund of all charges since you received the phone, the contract hinges on a phone bing supplied not a piece of junk . Therefore you always ask for the phone cost + contract cost to date + expenses .

Round about when the SCC summons arrives a manager ( no less) will often materialise and ring you with an offer, fecking amazing or what :D

Advertisement