Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M Litt & Phd

Options
  • 04-07-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

I have looked at a few university websites at possible Master's by research at some stage in the future. For many of them there is the MLitt - the MA tends to be a taught degree in most cases - and it always states that the option to change to a Phd is there after a year or so.

I was wondering if it is the case that every MLitt student has one eye on a Phd, and any decision to finish with just the MLitt is made through lack of funds or sheer lack of interest in continuing? I suppose another way to phrase the question is if the MLitt has much standing on its own? Does a person who decides after a year of the MLitt to go for a Phd, graduate with the MLitt anyway along the way? And in such cases I presume the Phd is merely an extension of the same research topic?

Finally is there any significance difference between a taught MA and researched MLitt or would a researched degree always have a better regard? History is the area I would be thinking about. A research degree would interest me but I'd be afraid of it going on interminably especially if one was coaxed towards a Phd along the way. But a clean over-and-done with MA does have its appeal!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Rosita wrote:
    I have looked at a few university websites at possible Master's by research at some stage in the future. For many of them there is the MLitt - the MA tends to be a taught degree in most cases - and it always states that the option to change to a Phd is there after a year or so.

I was wondering if it is the case that every MLitt student has one eye on a Phd, and any decision to finish with just the MLitt is made through lack of funds or sheer lack of interest in continuing? I suppose another way to phrase the question is if the MLitt has much standing on its own? Does a person who decides after a year of the MLitt to go for a Phd, graduate with the MLitt anyway along the way? And in such cases I presume the Phd is merely an extension of the same research topic?

Finally is there any significance difference between a taught MA and researched MLitt or would a researched degree always have a better regard? History is the area I would be thinking about. A research degree would interest me but I'd be afraid of it going on interminably especially if one was coaxed towards a Phd along the way. But a clean over-and-done with MA does have its appeal!

Hi Rosita,

It is usual policy in most departments to register all incoming research students as MLitt in their first year, though there are a few (not many by comparison to PhD graduates) who will enter solely for the MLitt. Most upgrade to PhD if suitable, after either year 1 or 2 (Mlitt is usually 2 years). Sometimes an MA may be awarded 'in passing', but this is mainly in the USA, I dont know of any institution in Ireland that will do so. Alternatively, in the rare cases (particularly in Arts), where a PhD student decides to leave, they may write up their work and submit it for an Mlitt degree.

The Mlitt is generally regarded professionally as similar to a taught masters (at least to employers). Since the thesis is of less scope and content than a PhD, it is treated similarly to the MA in most cases. If you want a masters qualification, it is probably best to go for an MA, which is 1 year, with a qualification at the end. You cant upgrade from taught MA to Phd. Also, MA is a good way to find out if you are going to like researching (with minor thesis), and can be a good preparation for proposal writing. If you have a topic in mind that you want to pursue and have some idea of how to go about researching it, talk to a potential supervisor.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

Thanks very much Efla. Good advice much appreciated.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Spot on here Efla. Old school option (pardon the pun) was the direct entry PhD. Since about '99 TCD started the trend with the M.Litt track PhD which is mostly the norm these days (but there has been some swing back to direct entry of late). Usually a year two M.Litt. has option to M.Litt. or fast track PhD option, cuts down on university attrition rates. However with the advent of graduate schools and generic skills the landscape will change significantly in coming years. Pseudo US model, but quicker to PhD and longer post-doc.

If you want the fast track PhD option then M.Litt is the way to go. A taught masters will slow you down. Upgrade paths are rare. Methodologies are quite different in each stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

TJJP wrote:
    Spot on here Efla. Old school option (pardon the pun) was the direct entry PhD. Since about '99 TCD started the trend with the M.Litt track PhD which is mostly the norm these days (but there has been some swing back to direct entry of late). Usually a year two M.Litt. has option to M.Litt. or fast track PhD option, cuts down on university attrition rates. However with the advent of graduate schools and generic skills the landscape will change significantly in coming years. Pseudo US model, but quicker to PhD and longer post-doc.

If you want the fast track PhD option then M.Litt is the way to go. A taught masters will slow you down. Upgrade paths are rare. Methodologies are quite different in each stream.

They wont tell you anything about the politics of it either (you just reminded me of my application!) :)

Just to say; I should'nt really have commented on the MA since I didnt do one, but I can tell you that despite formalising some of the procedures though graduate schools (any thoughts on those by the way??) working out proposals and finding supervisors is still pretty informal. Not as much so in science, with pre-funded lab based projects, but definately with prospective arts PhD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

efla wrote:
    You cant upgrade from taught MA to Phd.

Actually you can... probably depends on university and school/department/faculty, but it's not impossible. The rest of the advice seems pretty good though ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement