Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Software Engineering

Options
  • 04-07-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    So im starting my Masters in Software Engineering in September in DCU.

I'm coming from CSSE in Maynooth, so what should i be expecting? Is there a lab specifically for SE students? How are the lecturers? what is the schedule like (timetable)?

Tips, advice, whatever...

Thanks!! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Expect… lots of hard work :)
    Yes, there is a lab specifically designated for the MSE class.
    Timetable is good. Expect 1.5 – 2 free days per week, with about 18 lecture hours and maybe a couple of lab hours as well.

Suggest you post in DCU forum for more/better info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Cool, thanks,
    Really looking forward to it now, never done C++ before so gonna try to learn that before i start. Anymore languages i should brush up on/start!?

I have a similar post in DCU so posted here too to reach more ppl...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks,
    Really looking forward to it now, never done C++ before so gonna try to learn that before i start. Anymore languages i should brush up on/start!?

I have a similar post in DCU so posted here too to reach more ppl...

It's strange what can happen in that course. I graduated 2 years ago and C++ was our primary language for the first 2 years.

We did nothing but JAVA for year 1 and 2, and only a few people doing projects did any C++ at all.

Apart from Java, just a tiny bit of C, and some J *shudder*

I've been scanning through some C++ tutorials, and it should not be hard to pick up on seems very simmilar to Java, which i'll also have to brush up on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Is this a self-taught masters that you will be doing?

• Advertisement

Its a one year full time taught Masters from Sept 07 - August 08

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its quite stressul, too many assignments and exams are hay wire, its no BSC, rumour has it

Placebo wrote:
    its quite stressul, too many assignments and exams are hay wire, its no BSC, rumour has it

Well at least DCU got back to me, and offer support, unlike those clowns in tcd ;)

Advertisement