Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How different is different?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 9:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

I have had enough of all of ye bladdering on about how great Donegal is so I have decided to go and have a look at it myself.

Well not exactly I am been treated for a weekend there by my family near end of July. Yes before ye ask they re coming too!:)
    Have ye got a two day itinerary for me to come back to Leitrim with the scales dropped off my eyes. Eg Is there good spit and sawdust pubs, restuarants, spectacular scenary/walks, beaches etc around the area of Rathmullen that ye could recommend that could create some special memories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tuppence wrote:
    I have had enough of all of ye bladdering on about how great Donegal is so I have decided to go and have a look at it myself.

Well not exactly I am been treated for a weekend there by my family near end of July. Yes before ye ask they re coming too!:)
    Have ye got a two day itinerary for me to come back to Leitrim with the scales dropped off my eyes. Eg Is there good spit and sawdust pubs, restuarants, spectacular scenary/walks, beaches etc around the area of Rathmullen that ye could recommend that could create some special memories?
    If you can get through some of this in a week and still have some energy then book yourself another 6 months to take in the rest ;)

Drive north from Rathmullan up along the Knockalla Road and stop first of all along the parking spots that are provide and view the beauty of Ballymastocker Bay from a height of a couple of hundred metres above it. Its only about a 10 min drive. Then go down to the bay itself and absorb the surroundings. Fantastic beach and car free to boot.

Dunlewey is another place Id reccommend and if you are traveling to or from Donegal Town be sure to stop in Biddy's O' Barnes for a quick one. They say its bad luck to pass it without stopping for refreshments - thats my excuse and Im sticking to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

If you drop into Buncrana on Friday then id advise heading out to the Drift Inn (music starts at 22:00 its karaoke on Fridays) then head on round to the zone after last orders (which is usually around 1:00 or 1:30 depending on a few things) with possibilities of more drink later on. If your about on Saturday then its the same order (Live band on Saturdays in the Drift though) then you have a choice of the Zone or liberty's nightclubs after this with the same last order rules applying to the drift. [/commercial plug]

In all seriousness though the Drift is a great place to chillax in, I work there and should know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

Ramelton is a 10min drive from rathmullan.you should check out the bridge bar,great wee pub,usually live music at the weekends.also mcdaids wine bar is a good spot...its nothing like what ur idea of a wine bar is!If you make it up to letterkenny mcginleys and the cottage are 2 good pubs.as far as restaurants go rathmullan house is highly rated (and highly priced) while the bridge bar is a well known sea food restaurant.loads more but you'll find them!enjoy the trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

the Ramelton festival is on this weekend, so seen your passing through (on way to Rathmullen) you may aswell stop for a few drinks and live music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

ctc_celtic wrote:
    the Ramelton festival is on this weekend, so seen your passing through (on way to Rathmullen) you may aswell stop for a few drinks and live music.
    Sounds good but wont be round for a couple of weekends yet. (2nd last weekend in july). See the earagail festival on, cld just catch the tail end of it. Muffler thank you for message but I cant get into that link for some reason. Do you have another reference for it?
    By the way whos said that the Irish pub was on the demise. Certainally not by the looks of it in Donegal. I would need to go to rehab after if I try and fit them all in.;)

• Advertisement

tuppence wrote:
    Muffler thank you for message but I cant get into that link for some reason. Do you have another reference for it?
    The link is still working fine for me.

I googled "Ballymastocker Bay" and clicked on the first result I found. That link by the way is from a web site - www.ramelton.net Log in there and you should be able to access the photo section. Believe me its well worth it.

Thanks for the link. Nice slide show. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

The Bunglas cliffs near Carrick are definately worth a look

Glenman wrote:
    The Bunglas cliffs near Carrick are definately worth a look
    Not on windy day though:eek:

Thanks for the replys. Whats the weather outlook for the weekend then in Donegal? I guess its rain just like Leitrim, but sure its the poeple that counts. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

tuppence wrote:
    Thanks for the replys. Whats the weather outlook for the weekend then in Donegal? I guess its rain just like Leitrim, but sure its the poeple that counts. ;)

I would not bet on that either, if being drunk out of your skull on alcohol, or cocaine or another substance is your scene. IMHO Donegal has gone to hell, socially, economically and if you 'do not' want to be skinned alive, ripped off and treated as a blow in victim of a plethora of scumbags.

Then I would avoid it .

This is only a native's honest opinion :eek: .

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    I would not bet on that either, if being drunk out of your skull on alcohol, or cocaine or another substance is your scene. IMHO Donegal has gone to hell, socially, economically and if you 'do not' want to be skinned alive, ripped off and treated as a blow in victim of a plethora of scumbags.

Then I would avoid it .

This is only a native's honest opinion :eek: .

Yes indeed - avoid the Glenfinn Road out of Ballybofey. Some rough characters living there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Paddy20 wrote:
    I would not bet on that either, if being drunk out of your skull on alcohol, or cocaine or another substance is your scene.

sounds like a fun place to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

You're some advert for Donegal Paddy, am I not right in stating you chose to come back here. How often are you out at night, Most of your posts seem to be done at night, yet you talk as if you were a guard on the front line.

I'm out very regularly and if maybe you left the computer and went out you'd see Donegals not as rough as you make it out to be.

Quite frankly, I'm appalled at your constant knocking of Donegal and its local authority. You have a local authority house, the rest of us don't complain but get on with life, contribute to the economy and have few if any handouts.

A bit of realism and gratitude to a system that has worked to your advantage too wouldn't go a miss.

Advertisement