Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Winehouse

Options
  • 03-07-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I love her music, but her behaviour is getting out of control. Just read now that she carved 'I love Blake' into her stomach during a magazine interview with a broken mirror. Aww! How painful would that be? She was also supposedly making several trips to the toilet, and checking her nose afterwards. Wonder what that means?! Hmmm....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

She is just so talented; her album Back to Black is constantly on repeat in the car. She is weird but thats her thing - the big hair, sailor tattoos, funny teeth and potty mouth.
    But i think she is pushing the boundaries lately with the getting married in secret,the self harming and slagging everyone off plus she has gotten scary skinny in the last couple of weeks.
    Just hope she doesn't end up like Lilo, Paris and Nicole Ritchie. Same goes for Lily Allen hopes she stays "normal" for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I really really don't like anything about her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scitilop

I seriously don't believe that story about her carving his name with broken glass during an interview. Ridiculous.

I don't mind, the world needs crazy musically geniuses like Amy. Without people like her the whole music scene (in terms of personality, music and otherwise) would be very bland right now. Look at it compared to the 80s when we'd countless amazing loons like Prince, MJ, etc, etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Even if she did do it, she's only doing a copycat of the guy from the Manic Street Preachers a couple of years back. Publicity tbh

She's a skank, frankly. Good voice (sometimes) and good tunes but meh, her and Lily Allen are nothing to value overly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Richie Edwards anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

A side-note: (sorry to go off-topic!)-

Why the celebrity and showbiz forum? We're discussing the actions of a musician. One poster mention Paris and Nicole Richie, who, fair enough, are more or less, professional "celebrities", but Amy, regardless of your opinion of her work, is a musician. As is Paul McCartney, who also has a topic on this forum.

In my opinion, for the large part, I couldn't care less what musicians do in their personal lives, I am generally only interested in their output (the Nicky Wire topic I started in the music forum being an exception to the rule), but, even if i were, wouldn't i discuss their lives in a music forum. Or are the more famous now celebrities first, musicians second?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭nickyjellybaby

I am a big Amy Winehouse fan, I don't like her lifestyle but each to their own
    Can't wait to see her this weekend! yayyyy!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Driver 8 wrote:

Why the celebrity and showbiz forum? We're discussing the actions of a musician. One poster mention Paris and Nicole Richie, who, fair enough, are more or less, professional "celebrities", but Amy, regardless of your opinion of her work, is a musician. As is Paul McCartney, who also has a topic on this forum.

In my opinion, for the large part, I couldn't care less what musicians do in their personal lives, I am generally only interested in their output (the Nicky Wire topic I started in the music forum being an exception to the rule), but, even if i were, wouldn't i discuss their lives in a music forum. Or are the more famous now celebrities first, musicians second?
    You're raising an interesting point here. I think that while it used to be possible to be an actor/musician/writer without being a celebrity, the line now has been blurred massively - it has become very rare to find someone in these professions who wouldn't be classed as a celebrity, simply by dint of the fact that they're well-known. Further, many people in these professions actively court the media in a kind of tacit acknowledgment that they have to play the media game in order to get the publicity that they need for their film/album/book etc.

Does this mean that people who actively avoid the media like Kate Bush, JD Salinger and Jodie Foster are still celebrities? I'm not sure tbh - probably not. But they're a tiny few, and notable because they refuse to play the media game. Amy Winehouse encourages debate and discussion about her lifestyle (by dismissing other celebrities, writing songs about her tangled love-life and openly discussing her alcohol and drug use) and as such, can be considered a celebrity. I guess.

I don't think that she's a celebrity first and musician second though; that's more true of someone like Paris Hilton. Winehouse is clearly more famous for her music (although her private life is starting to get waaaay more headlines).

Finally this thread could probably have easily been done in another forum - like a lot of topics it straddles two categories - but the fact that it's here in C&S means that it's going to focus more on Amy Winehouse's life rather than her music; in the same way that it's usually Lindsay Lohan's lifestyle that gets the attention rather than her films in forums like this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks with her on it was my favourite episode ever. They were playing a game where Simon Astell (the host, if youre unfamiliar with the show) says a line from a song and the contestants have to say the next line...

Simon: 'They tried to make me go to rehab...'
    Amy Winehouse: 'I said no no no...'
    Simon: 'Correct. In hindsight, I think yes, maybe?' (05:49 mins)

And I love the part where Amy starts waffling on some crazy sh*t, and Astell just shouts out: 'Why not drink more?'... (03:25 mins) :D

Archimedes wrote:
    That episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks with her on it was my favourite episode ever. They were playing a game where Simon Astell (the host, if youre unfamiliar with the show) says a line from a song and the contestants have to say the next line...

And I love the part where Amy starts waffling on some crazy sh*t, and Astell just shouts out: 'Why not drink more?'... (03:25 mins) :D
    Genuine lol! I'd never seen that before but it's excellent.

Amstell: "This is no longer a pop quiz. It's an intervention..." :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

She'll be dead before 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Oriel wrote:
    Richie Edwards anybody?

ha, my thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i like her music but shes so thin lately its just scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Archimedes wrote:

(Simon makes a comment about Amy and drugs/sex..)
    AMY: Do I look like Russell Brand?

SIMON:...Yes.

:D Twas a great episode indeed

She's very talented and I love her music (nice to see a new soul artist!) but she's such an eejit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the general rule of thumb is that if it's in one of those braindead trashy magazines like Heat, OK and the like, then it's 'celebrity'. You can't exactly see them running a piece on how Rob Zombie sliced his ear off.

you'd be surprised,sometimes they have articles on people you really wouldnt expect

I think the general rule of thumb is that if it's in one of those braindead trashy magazines like Heat, OK and the like, then it's 'celebrity'. You can't exactly see them running a piece on how Rob Zombie sliced his ear off.
    I don't think it's that clear-cut. With the onslaught of all the celeb websites there's been a kind of democratisation of celebrity - pretty much anyone who's well known (for anything!) is classed as a celebrity and written about. Perez and TMZ both have written about people who you wouldn't usually class as celebrities - for instance today Perez has something about Van Halen (I know there's more obscure people but his search function is broken so cant think of any off the top of my head).

marilyn manson is always being mentioned in the likes of heat magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

marilyn manson is always being mentioned in the likes of heat magazine

I think he's happy to play the celeb game, given that he's using his divorce to plug his new album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Starmix

Archimedes wrote:

without a doubt, the funniest Never Mind I have ever seen - Amy getting up to hug the bloke in the line up - pure class!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Driver 8 wrote:

Yes she is a musician, but that doesnt mean she isn't a celebrity. Yes there are celebrities who are nothing else but celebs, but that IMO is quite recent phenomenon. Most celebities have a career other than being a celeb. Tom Cruise = Actor but he's also a huge celeb. Amy Winehouse and Paul McCarthy are celebrities because they play the media game. Winehouse plays up the crazy because it puts her in the paper and ultimately sells her records. Was it necessary Paul McCarthy to expose all the hoopla about his marriage break up? No but funny he has a new album this year and now there is rumours about him getting back together with is wife.

If this thread had been posted in the music forum, it prob would have been moved because its about her life not her music!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

thanks for that??? ^^^^^

mcauley wrote:
    thanks for that??? ^^^^^
    descry was responding to the point made by Driver 8 on the previous page.

Think that's probably enough of a side-track though - if anyone wants to talk about who classes as a celebrity and who doesn't then just start a new thread :)

Advertisement