Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight rant

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

OMG I just have to get this off my chest. I am so sick of SINGLE MOTHERS in this country. They go around with their prams into shops with their dirty kids and cause havoc. Since when did a shop become a free creche? And all they seem to do all day is hang around with their friends (also with 9-seater buggies) and moan about "those assylum seekers" as though - somehow - they are less of a drain on society being State supported on everyone else's tax money. It's a disgrace! Social Welfare ought to shut down the support structures available to these leeches!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Great first post. Troll?

There are plenty of single mothers who hold down jobs, and are good mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

More suited to humanities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

The-Rigger wrote:
    Great first post. Troll?

There are plenty of single mothers who hold down jobs, and are good mothers.

I am not a troll; I had a run in with one of these fine specimens (and her angels) this morning. You don't see the decent single mothers with jobs and nice children whinging about "those Romanians" or shouting profanity at their children so I clearly wasn't referring to them. Let's not get tied down with nitty gritty labels - there is nothing controversial about the "plenty of single mothers who hold down jobs, and are good mothers" in fairness.

Mod: Do I repost to humanities or does it get moved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rhonda wrote:
    OMG I just have to get this off my chest. I am so sick of SINGLE MOTHERS in this country.

It's this statement that is a fairly sweeping.

Ok, single mothers with 9 children+ are a drain on society, I concur. I can't see any need for any person, let alone a single jobless person to have 9 children.

Fair point OP.

The-Rigger wrote:
    It's this statement that is a fairly sweeping.

:D Sur where would we be without tabloidesque headlines ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Tell us more about this run in that you had Rhonda. Is it simply this one occasion that has led you to this generalisation or was it just the straw that broke the camel's back? If so, why?
    I have to say i haven't really noticed these dirty profanity shouting leaches that you say are taking over our shops:confused:

littlebug wrote:
    Tell us more about this run in that you had Rhonda. Is it simply this one occasion that has led you to this generalisation or was it just the straw that broke the camel's back? If so, why?
    I have to say i haven't really noticed these dirty profanity shouting leaches that you say are taking over our shops:confused:

It was the final straw. Noone is a stranger to this type of scum.

Well I was getting the groceries minding my business when it's buggy scuffed the back of my heel so I turned around and there it was - a big beastly wan, grimey tracksuit, bleached hair, more 'gold' than the central bank and 2 screaming rat children cut from the same cloth in the buggy. She just glared at me when I turned around so I just walked on not wanting to cause a scene. Then around 5 seconds later CRASH - buggy straight into the back of my legs - this time causing a small cut so I turned around and said "excuse me can you please watch where you are going" and she starts off "problem??....*effing and blinding*" i.e. agro so I said sternly "that was not an invitation to speak to me" and SHE LOST IT. Dirty scumbag, dragged up no doubt. Her friend started egging her on "Cristil luv..." then and there was a chorus of 5 children screaming and bawling and running and generally making a nuisance of themselves. At that point I had enough and I walked away. Every one of them should be lined up, sterilized and kept indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rooshter

I get what you're saying, but surely that's more of a class / socio econcomic rant? You can't be sure if the lady in question was married or not. While there there are plenty of "career single mothers" of the welfare system, there are as many single mothers with careers raising decent families!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

How exactly did you know they were single?

1) No wedding ring
    2) No 'fella in immediate vicinity
    3) Age / child ratio
    4) No wedding ring
    5) Female Intuition
    6) Do the tiny nitty gritty facts matter - we all know the type I am talking about and they are generally single mother, scum-trash. What would I care if they are married behind it all. Of course someone else would pipe up if I called them "scum-trash mothers". If I want to label them single vagrant mothers, I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    1)
    6) Do the tiny nitty gritty facts matter
    If I want to label them single vagrant mothers, I will.

Then quit your moaning about them generalising about Romanians and/or asylum seekers.

You obviously accept that making negative comments about stereotyped groups doesn't have to be too concerned about facts, so quit yer yammering about other people doing it.
    It's a disgrace!
    I couldn't have described the use of negative stereotyping better.

bonkey wrote:
    Then quit your moaning about them generalising about Romanians and/or asylum seekers.

You obviously accept that making negative comments about stereotyped groups doesn't have to be too concerned about facts, so quit yer yammering about other people doing it.

I couldn't have described the use of negative stereotyping better.

My my aren't we just self righteous and above it all. Its kettles and pots - they begrudge "those Romanians" when they are the real thorn in our sides. Just remember who paid for "Cristal" and her friend's (+ the mongrels they're dragging up) frozen pizza and sunny delight - the tax payer i.e. you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    My my aren't we just self righteous and above it all.
    I am quite above it all.

I merely noted that you are engaging in the exact same behaviour that you are ranting about and suggested that you reconsider what you're saying as it had invalidated your position.
    Its kettles and pots
    I agree.

You argue that "we" shouldn't let little things like details and so forth get in the way of a good rant, but are complaining (in part) about people who don't let little things like details and so forth get in the way of a good rant.

Thus, you are the pot, they are the kettle.

I, on the other hand, am not engaging in generalisations, nor basing my position on assumptions nor intuition. I am taking the clear facts - what you yourself have said - and showing it for what it is. I am, therefore, neither pot nor kettle.
    - they begrudge "those Romanians" when they are the real thorn in our sides.
    They begrudge "those Romanians" while you begrudge "those single mothers". I still fail to see the difference.
    Just remember who paid for "Cristal" and her friend's (+ the mongrels they're dragging up) frozen pizza and sunny delight - the tax payer i.e. you and I.
    I base my position on evidence, not intuition and assumption. I can't remember these things as they would not be based on evidence.

I also have more courtesy than to refer to anyone as "mongrels" regardless of my opinion of them.

Unlike you, apparently, I would be especially careful to be polite when its (partly) a lack of manners that I was making a point about.

Yeehaw I will try to be more dignified / less inflamatory. But its so much gratifying the other way :D

Look Bonkey

Im not interested in the fact that I'm a hypocrite - you don't need to go to labourious detail outlining the structure and semantics of your argument / thought process, "evidence", analysis, philosophy etc etc etc. I get it. So to recap, I am aware...

YES Im awful for calling them mongrels
    YES I sound like a jumped up bitchface
    YES it doesnt make me any better for whining as they (and everyone else) whines about something that winds them up.

and on and on and on...

The fact is (when all this other rubbish isn't brought up to squirm away from the substantive matters at hand) that the likes of what I speak of make me sick to the pit of my stomach when I see them and their grimey offspring. :D

I might also add, of the 5 charming children surrounding "Cristil" and her friend, 3 were girls. Wonderful - thats another 3 wombs, 6 ovaries and countless eggs for the State to contend with in another couple of years when Cristil has shown them what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well hopefully thier kids will grow up and get McJob and pay enough taxes into the ecomny to pay back what was used to rear them and they may also pay enough to keep you on your pension Rhonda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    Im not interested in the fact that I'm a hypocrite
    Clearly not, but being a hypocrite means you're not in much of a position to argue. You want to be taken seriously, right? How on earth can you expect to be? You're like a pro-life militant arguing in favour of the death penalty. So you may not take the fact that you're a hypocrite into account, but other users of this forum do. And it's a public forum so people will disagree with you - if you don't like people arguing with you, don't bother using this public forum.

Also, you should have opened your thread by being specific as to what TYPE of single mother you were referring to. We now know what you mean, but don't put them in a group called "single mothers" - that's rather broad and vague.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Well hopefully thier kids will grow up and get McJob and pay enough taxes into the ecomny to pay back what was used to rear them and they may also pay enough to keep you on your pension Rhonda.

We wouldnt be alive if it wasn't for hope I suppose

Dudess wrote:
    Clearly not, but being a hypocrite means you're not in much of a position to argue. You want to be taken seriously, right? How on earth can you expect to be? You're like a pro-life militant arguing in favour of the death penalty. So you may not take the fact that you're a hypocrite into account, but other users of this forum do. And it's a public forum so people will disagree with you - if you don't like people arguing with you, don't bother using this public forum.

Also, you should have opened your thread by being specific as to what TYPE of single mother you were referring to. We now know what you mean, but don't put them in a group called "single mothers" - that's rather broad and vague.

Yes-yes the final weapon in the arsenal is to drag up some high-level point about e.g. the person being a hypocrite, free speech...

Just cut to the chase and avoid the silly stuff. If you don't like single mothers either its ok to say it. If you think single mothers are fantastic just leave it at that. It is ridiculous when discussion is shut down by frantic wheeling out of well-worn Democracy 101 ideals. Yes I am being militant. Yes I am being rude and awful about these dregs of society.

Come Dudess, join me in rejecting Cristil from SuperValu and all she stands for without arguing all this extrinsic nonsense. :D She was a divvy, plain and simple; you know you can't stand "the wans" either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I agree. That woman sounds like a horrible scumbag and I pity her kids. You have every right to complain about those types. I certainly wouldn't be a deluded PC idiot about them, but it's just the way you phrase it. You're saying let's put the bleeding heart nonsense aside and just say what's what. Fine. But you can do that without using inappropriate language (like "mongrel") and sweeping statements.

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    Yeehaw I will try to be more dignified / less inflamatory. But its so much gratifying the other way :D
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Humanties is for intelligent debate and not personal ranting. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement