Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-contributory pension - pay back when dead?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey All,

my Dad receives the non-contributory pension. My uncle now told me, that apparently when my Dad dies, a certain amount of the pension needs to be back-payed to the state if there are funds available - e.g. in our case it would probably involve selling Dad's house.

I had a look at welfare.ie, but could find no mention of this at all, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place...

Does anybody have any info on this?

(I don't think my uncle is making this up either, as he told me that he put his house in his daughter's name years ago to avoid having to back-pay the pension..)

thanks all,
    Gagalina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'll check into this and i'll get back to you tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

That would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Gagalina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mattDL

This would only apply if he failed to disclose any income as part of the means assessment while in receipt of the non-contributory pension (as it is means-tested). What happens is the solicitor who is dealing with the estate of the deceased has to notify Social Welfare of the will and SW will chack against any undeclared assets. The solicitor would be legally bound to withhold any assets to the value of any overpayment assessed.

That's roughly the situation. There's an "Estates section" in the Pension Services Office in Sligo that would give more information (0719169800).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

Hey MattDL,

thanks for the info - I suppose that makes sense! Just hope my dad hasn't got anything hidden ;-)

Gagalina

Advertisement