Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] U-turn on parking charges to promote public transport

Options
  • 03-07-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭

from www.ireland.com
    Dublin City Council proposes to allow commuters to park free of charge in residential areas to encourage drivers to switch to public transport to access the city-centre in a reversal of its paid parking policy.

The amendment to the current parking regulations would result in fewer streets in future becoming subject to pay and display and residents' permit parking.

The council also intends to examine areas currently under parking control with a view to removing parking restrictions if suitable transport links are available.

The proposal, which must be approved by the city councillors, is likely to appeal to commuters who have difficulty in finding parking near rail and Luas stations and bus routes, but it will anger residents who claim that they cannot park outside their own homes.

Up to now paid parking was introduced to residential areas upon application by the residents. If 80 per cent of the on-street parking in the area was generally occupied, more than 50 per cent of residents wanted the scheme and the street was considered suitable by the council's traffic engineer, the application was granted.

Once in place, residents paid an annual €70 charge for a parking permit, while non-residents could use pay and display machines to pay for parking.

The council's parking control division says that while this policy has worked well in previous years, the council now had to consider whether these schemes were discouraging commuters from using public transport. Any new application for parking controls had to be considered in this light and current paid parking areas should be reviewed to ensure that the restrictions did not deter motorists from availing of public transport, the council said.

"Where the application is for parking controls in a street which adjoins a significant public transport corridor, terminus, interchange etc, the application will generally not be recommended where residents already have sufficient off-street parking and on-street parking does not give rise to a traffic hazard or obstruction," the amendment states.

"It is also recommended that this additional criterion be applied where a review of existing parking controls in a particular street is considered appropriate."

The proposals are to be put to the council's transportation and traffic strategic policy committee later this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Proposals are also under way to remove speed bumps and cul-de-sacs in order to provide new rat runs for the city's commuters ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm finding this hard to digest. Why would parking charges deter you from using public transport? And won't the elimination of charges create a free-for-all, swamping buses and on-street trams?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

I guess people faced with the option of paying to park as well as paying to take ths bus/train would chose just to drive into town and pay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It would be far far better to improve the public transport service to the suburbs. Unfortunately that would take more effort than signing off on a silly little law. I'd be surprised if this was voted in anyway.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It is my observation that residential areas within Dublin are flooded with parked cars already. So i'm not sure what this is going to do, except for maybe put even more cars on our footpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I've got a proposal for Dublin City Council: they could convert their vast underground carpark beneath the civic offices to some other use and then maybe they could start to experience public transport in Dublin first hand.

Presumably this policy was invented by the "Do as I say not as I do" department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

spacetweek wrote:
    I'm finding this hard to digest. Why would parking charges deter you from using public transport? And won't the elimination of charges create a free-for-all, swamping buses and on-street trams?

Aren't most (all?) the streets metered parking for 2-3 hours only, if you've hopped on a bus or tram you don't have the possibility of feeding the meter (which is normally forbidden anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where I live, just inside the edge of the city centre parking zone, the nearby streets are maybe 20-50% full during the day. Some surrounding streets, outside the zone are packed. Potentially, allowing free or 8 hour parking on unused streets would mean people would park here and get the bus in. Possibly.

The risk is that it would cannabalise bus passenger in outer areas instead of removing car users.

Advertisement