Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Advice Wanted] Advice for First Time Landlord

Options
  • 03-07-2007 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’ve just bought a 2 bed apartment in Dublin and intend to rent out one room as an Owner/Occupier. While I’ll interview as best I can, I’m worried about what could happen if I get it wrong and end up stuck with the person from hell.

I’m just wondering in relation to a lease agreement, what is the minimum period I’m obliged to allow a tenant to stay before I can request him/her to leave. Also, can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on a standard lease agreement document.

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Most people in your situation wouldn't draw up a lease - it isn't necessary as far as I'm aware. Your situation is distinct to that of a landlord....you'll have a "lodger", I believe.

Having lived with a couple of owner/occupiers this is how it was done for me. We had verbally agreed on a month's notice if either of us wanted to terminate the arrangement, I gave a months deposit much as you would when renting a place yourself.
    what is the minimum period I’m obliged to allow a tenant to stay before I can request him/her to leave.

You're not obliged to let them stay for any period of time, i.e. you can ask them to leave whenever you like. Whether there is any obligation to give minimum notice I'm not sure, some of the other posters will be along to clarify this soon I'm sure. It's probably good practice to give a couple of weeks notice at least unless there is a serious problem, as it isn't a good idea to have an angry/resentful person in your house in any case.

Other than that:

Take a deposit, and rent in advance.

Make sure they know any ground rules in advance, and what the likely bills are.

Take your time in the interviews, and choose whoever you get the best vibe off. I wouldn't rush into it even if you need someone in a hurry - this forum has plenty of examples of house shares gone bad, try not to be another!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115159

This pretty much has the answer for you, in the worst case scenario.

Advertisement