Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

less summer sun=cooler winter??????

Options
  • 02-07-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

heres a something i was just thinking about last night and mabe someone can answer me, This year we are getting a particularly wet and dull summer, and since the 21th of june we are moving away from the sun so the daylight hours are decreasing and the power of the sun is also decreasing, so what im thinking is that less solar radiation means that less heat is being absorbed by land and sea, and from what i have seen alot of the northern hemisphere is unsettled so the same would be hapening throughout. so would this mean we could have a much colder winter this year?? or will it have a knock on effect somewhere eles in the world. i know the gulf stream more or less dictates our weather and keeps us mild and wet .
    just thinking out loud .
    anyone have any theorys????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Luckily it does'nt work like that, you mention the gulf stream - thats our true climatic engine.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

As Mike says,the gulf stream dictates are weather 80% or so all year round.It carries warmth and also a lot of moisture.But there are now recognised weather related events such as El Nino and La Nina which have been discovered in the early 80's that can strenghten or weaken the gulf stream depending on how weak/strong the two are.

Presently there is a weak La Nina which doesnt hinder the GS too much but has the tendancy in keeping the N hemisphere slightly cool or colder during seasons but aswell as the typical GS systems.ie:Now and especially Thursday when a storm depression will move close to the west.
    Results are more accurate and determined when the summer unfolds and predictions that a weak La Nina is to blame.Winter does tend to be colder though but drier with anticyclones being dominant.

Or do we simply go on the fact that when a El nino dies (In April,a sunny month)that a decent spring usually is followed by a wet summer.?Tradition?
    and since the 21th of june we are moving away from the sun so the daylight hours are decreasing and the power of the sun is also decreasing, so what im thinking is that less solar radiation means that less heat is being absorbed by land and sea
    In theory this should happen but is never the case.SST's are usually the same now as in the month of October.It takes a large body of water to absorb heat more than the land and so will still heat up as we go through the summer and into the Autumn with a gradual opposite after October.The land is directly powered by the sun in terms of heat and so yes a stronger sun will have more impact on temps but a warming body of water with a very warm sourced gulf stream has its peak on this country in August.Many say its our warmest month and i do agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

thanks. thats one less question floating around my head.
    (blasted gulf stream)
    p.s i shake my fist as i say this.

Advertisement