Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice for departure - house share?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a houseowner with 2 lodgers sharing with me - after 3 1/2 months I can take no more of their behaviour. I've really had enough of them, at the end of my tether, so I'm giving them their notice today to vacate by Friday evening.

When it's a houseshare scenario there seems to be no legalities or rights, I've checked websites and called one of the centres just to double check - there was no contract/agreement when they moved in and according to sites it says up to the "discretion of the owner". I wanted to pound at their doors at 05.00 this morning and tell them to vacate there and then. Do you think 4 1/2days notice is fair enough??? (They have few belongings to pack).

Your advice would be appreciated. Thank you! J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's particularly tough when it's the houseowner sharing, as he/she has to be both the landlord, and just another housemate.

You're right in that lodgers aren't afforded the same rights as normal tenants. I suspect that this is largely because it's expected that the landlord will look after the place, seeing as he lives there. You also couldn't expect someone to have to give minimum notice to a problem tenant and then live with that tenant for the rest of the notice.

Assuming that your tenants are particularly bad (noise and whatever at 5am) and you have previously asked them to cop on, then 4 days is long enough.

My only worry would be them doing something stupid out of spite, but would you consider them likely to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

seamus wrote:
    My only worry would be them doing something stupid out of spite, but would you consider them likely to do this?
    That would be my worry too. Watch them like a hawk for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Yeah, that's my concern too. I would have thought no - but they could get a bit nasty and I'm out of the house all day at work - their shifts change all the time, so they could be there for a good few hours.

Between not doing housework, constant noise and no matter what I ask them be it nicely/sternly/I've tried every approach and they just seem to be sneering at me. But when they woke me at 02.45 this morning and I asked who was in my house (work colleagues) - and when I replied this wasn't good enough, they've woken me again, their guests are not staying - due to the screaming girls etc. tripping up and down my stairs - and they not only stayed several more hours but still kept giggling and shouting this went on until after 05.00. I felt that they pushed me to the point where they just had to go. They have neither shown me nor my home any respect.

Thanks guys I appreciate the support there. No guilt on my part. Could always ask my parents to keep an eye on things. J

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Judes wrote:
    Do you think 4 1/2days notice is fair enough??? (They have few belongings to pack).
    I don't think that sounds particularily fair.

Did you not try discussing your issues with the lodgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If this is part of a longer history of stuff, I think it is fair enough.

You're all right legally. It's a question of doing the right thing.

I would go for the 5 days notice and if after 4 days they haven't found alternative accommodation (and you have to admit, it sounds like these guys will have a tough time convincing a friend to allow them sleep on the couch) and if they ask really nicely, you might give them a few days more.

Lodgers don't have the same rights as tenants because they're not tenants. They're licencees and are not in possession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement