Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving back Deposit

Options
  • 02-07-2007 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm the landlord.
    Ok, before I get shouted at:- I'm NOT looking for ways to KEEP the deposit.

My tenant has just announced they'll be leaving my property at the end of the month.
    They were my 1st tenant & have been in my property for 2 years.

In the 2 years I have not had one issue with them, I've been very happy, rent always on time etc, would be more than happy to give good reference.

But, as it's my 1st tenancy, I'm a little naive, I think.

What sort of things to people hold back the deposit for?
    Is it just for items broken (beyond wear & tear for 2 years of use), or do landlords also keep money back for the cleaning of the property if it's been left in a bad way?

Like, I was in the property shortly after the tenant moved in & was very happy with how it was being kept, but then I was in it about a year ago & the utility room was crammed full with rubbish bags & there was such a foul smell. When I suggested it to the tenant, they said they just hadn't got to the recycling bins yet & that the foul smell was coming from a second fridge I had in the property that they decided not to use.

If I arrive at the property at the end of the month & sights such as that face me, would you hold back some money for having to remove it, etc?

What else do I need to look out for?

Phone & electricity bills are in the tenants name. Can I be left with any unpaid bills when they move?
    It would be my intention to read the meter when meeting the tenant & get them to sign an agreement to say that's the reading & then get the esb back in my name until I get another tenant.

Sorry I'm so green in this area, it's just I don't want to get bitten in the bum by being too trustworthy / friendly, etc.

I'll have ample time to go through the house to check everything before meeting the tenant to exchange keys / deposit, so what all do I need to look for.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Things landlords keep money for

1. Cleaning - is there carpets or soft furnishings in the flat. Will they need to be cleaned before another tenant comes in. Normal wear and tear over two years has to be expected
    2. Notice period - Did the tenant give you enough notice that he/she wanted to leave... usually the same period that the rent is paid for, ie a month would be typical. If they didn't you could charge them a small amount for advertising for a new tenant. My last landlord did this to me, even though i'd given her 2 months notice. She said I hadn't done it in writing. V unfair in my opinion.
    3. Broken stuff

Thats the only things I've ever heard of people having their deposits kept. From what you have said in your original post though, I wouldn't keep anything. If they've been good tenants and paid the rent on time, giving you no hassles, thats worth a lot. Definitely wouldn't worry about the bin thing, everyone forgets to put them out now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Jumanji

Thanks Patrickolee.

Yea, they've given me ample notice. Not in writing, but why should that matter!!
    I know they're moving & that's all that's important.

Yes, there's a lot of carpet that was brand new when they moved in & was expensive, so I'll have to have a close look at it, but as it was one tenant on their own, I can't see that much wear & tear will have been done on it.

Well, fingers crossed anyway.

& for items broken. If an item that cost €50 was broken for example, would you deduct €50, or say just half of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Ah, the heady world of restitution law. It depends what you said in the lease. Normally it would be the reduction in value rather than the cost of replacement with new.

Be realistic re the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Jumanji wrote:
    Thanks Patrickolee.

Yea, they've given me ample notice. Not in writing, but why should that matter!!
    I know they're moving & that's all that's important.
    It shouldn't, my landlady was just been a tit. She didn't keep all my deposit, just around 200 I think, can't remember exactly. Chancing her arm that I wouldn't bother chasing her for it, which I didn't. You sound like a much more reasonable landlord, which is a good thing :-)
    Jumanji wrote:
    Yes, there's a lot of carpet that was brand new when they moved in & was expensive, so I'll have to have a close look at it, but as it was one tenant on their own, I can't see that much wear & tear will have been done on it.

Well, fingers crossed anyway.

& for items broken. If an item that cost €50 was broken for example, would you deduct €50, or say just half of it?

For the sake of 50 I probably wouldn't bother (but then I'm not a landlord, so its easy for me to say), but I'd say you would well within you rights to deduct 50 for that.

I hope you are as lucky with your next tenant, all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Jumanji

Just getting back to potential bills & unclosed accounts.

Is there any way I can be burned with this?

I think I can't, but just want to make sure.
    i.e. go to move account into my name & get told there's a €300 outstanding bill to be paid before this can be done!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check the ESB bill for the phone number to check the current balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

if the esb bill is in their name, you have nothing to worry about, as esb bills follow the person not the property.

phone bill may be different, i'd contact the phone company now and ask their advice.

Advertisement