Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping gear advice

Options
  • 29-06-2007 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking into investing in some decent camping gear. I hope some of you out there will be able to help me with some questions.

First and foremost, I'm looking for a tent. I would really appreciate the advice from people who know what they're talking about on what I should be looking for, what is the best value and where I might go to pick it up.
    I dont want to end up paying over the odds for something i dont need in the Great Outdoors.

So what do I need?
    Basically a simple well designed two man tent, that is fully waterproof and can withstand a certain amount of wind. I plan to be using it close to beaches.

I dont think that weight needs to be such an issue, seeing as I probably wont be hiking with it very much. Being able to pack it up nice and small would be an advantage but not a necessity.

All comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Other than that, I am also looking for a decent sleeping bag and thermarest thin air mattress. Once again, where would be the best place to pick these up? online?
    What should I look out for in a sleeping bag, seeing as I will mainly be using it in ireland?

And finally, any advice on other gear that I should consider purchasing to make camping beside my car next to the beach even more enjoyable, i.e. those little things that you guys cant live without now? Cooking stuff etc? Any advice on that kind of stuff would be much apprecated also.

Thanks a lot guys.

moe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Would you be using the sleeping bag all year round or just during the summer* months? I can recommend Euro Hike and Vango tents.

*This year's summer being between 3:30pm and 5:17pm on a Tuesday in May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wiimoteman

you should pay at least fifty euro for a decent tent, anything for around 20 euro will leak in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭moesymoe

yeah i'm planning on paying somewhere around the 80-100 euro mark for a tent. any opinions on coleman tents?
    sleeping bag, i'd probably want one that i will be able to use in the winter too. Not freezing december nights but october and march would definitely be a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Coleman tents are good too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My current tent is a 4 man sunncamp tent,It was aobut 200 euro 5/6 years ago and it has served me well through meditereanean storms and irish ones:)
    As camping as got quite common in Ireland now thanks mostly to festivals tents have come down alot in value too,but if your actually gonig ot be going on camping holidays it is worth buying something decent.
    On liffey st there are a number of outdoor shops and millets is nearby too,I would strongly recommend looking in millets and if they do not have what you want move down to the other shops,they tend to have cluefuil staff there too:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement