Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with LCD

Options
  • 28-06-2007 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I have this probem (Backlight Bleed) with a Sony Bravia LCD I bought.

From reading the UK and US HE/AV forums it seems about 25% of customers have had this problem and most of these have been able to return their sets. Some had a bit of arguing to do.

My problem is that I strongly suspect that I have received one of the returned sets. What leads me to think this is that the settings on the TV are not the orginal factory settings but the settings that Sony recommend users make to minimise the problem. So, somebody had this TV before me, tried to fix the problem as recommended by Sony, weren't satisfied with the result, and returned the TV. It's beside the point, but this recommendation is a cop out on Sony's part as the results are hardly noticeable and affect the display in other ways.

My question is, can I insist on getting another LCD of the same model, or is it a case of hoping for some goodwill from the retailer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

shayser wrote:
    I have this probem (Backlight Bleed) with a Sony Bravia LCD I bought.

From reading the UK and US HE/AV forums it seems about 25% of customers have had this problem and most of these have been able to return their sets. Some had a bit of arguing to do.

My problem is that I strongly suspect that I have received one of the returned sets. What leads me to think this is that the settings on the TV are not the orginal factory settings but the settings that Sony recommend users make to minimise the problem. So, somebody had this TV before me, tried to fix the problem as recommended by Sony, weren't satisfied with the result, and returned the TV. It's beside the point, but this recommendation is a cop out on Sony's part as the results are hardly noticeable and affect the display in other ways.

My question is, can I insist on getting another LCD of the same model, or is it a case of hoping for some goodwill from the retailer?

If the t.v. was sold to you as a new item and you can prove that it is pre-owned you have a case as it was not as described.

How long ago did you buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I bought it on the 13 June. Is the date important? I'm not sure if my suspicions are proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

shayser wrote:
    I bought it on the 13 June. Is the date important? I'm not sure if my suspicions are proof.

The date is important. People try to return these things after a year :P. Your within 28 days. Most companies will usually give you an exchange within this time period. Explain what the image quality is like and if given the chance show them. :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Reset the TV settings to the default (factory) settings to make the fault evident and bring it back to the retailer. As you're within 28 days it's a straight swop out. However, be prepared that the retailer's batch may contain other (unintentionally) faulty units with the exact same issue. Maybe print off that webpage aswell when bringing it back to show that it is a recognised fault. You should have no issues in getting the TV swopped out, but if you do, maybe a bit of naming and shaming here might be in order :)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

did you purchase the LCD from Dixons / currys by any chance??

I brought back a new LCD TV to Dixons ( not a sony ) because it had 2 pixels that were always green, was annoying when you were watching it.... manager powered it up, saw them and said he would exchange it no problem...

To my amazement he got the girl to process the return and the set was not put down as being faulty, it was put down as "item not wanted by customer, returned within 28 days.... " I was very surprised with this, as i had returned it within 2 days of getting it... Guess they are hoping someone else will come buy it and not notice...

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote:
    Reset the TV settings to the default (factory) settings to make the fault evident and bring it back to the retailer. As you're within 28 days it's a straight swop out. However, be prepared that the retailer's batch may contain other (unintentionally) faulty units with the exact same issue. Maybe print off that webpage aswell when bringing it back to show that it is a recognised fault. You should have no issues in getting the TV swopped out, but if you do, maybe a bit of naming and shaming here might be in order :)

Best of luck.
    Yeah, my concern is getting a worse one as the level of clouding varies from one LCD to the next. In saying that, mine is particulary bad. I wanted to wait until I saw what Sky HD looked like before I decided what to do. Apparantly, on an HD source the clouding is more obvious and utlimately this is a HD screen that in the long term (hopefully) all or almost all content will be HD.

I ordered the Sky install from the same shop and there is no sign of it. It's getting close to the 28 days now so I'll just have to back one way or the other.

did you purchase the LCD from Dixons / currys by any chance??

I brought back a new LCD TV to Dixons ( not a sony ) because it had 2 pixels that were always green, was annoying when you were watching it.... manager powered it up, saw them and said he would exchange it no problem...

To my amazement he got the girl to process the return and the set was not put down as being faulty, it was put down as "item not wanted by customer, returned within 28 days.... " I was very surprised with this, as i had returned it within 2 days of getting it... Guess they are hoping someone else will come buy it and not notice...
    You did well with Dixons. Might have been the 28 days rather than the stuck pixels.

Anyone know if the 28 days is a hard and fast rule? And what are the conditions? The 14 day online buying rule is very good, I think. Goods can be returned no questions asked within this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hmm sorry to hear of yer problem I really like sony gear and hoping to purchase in the coming months! :(

On another note the dead pixel thing an LCD does not have to be replaced or fixed only if the number or orientation of dead pixels is within certain guidlines.

e.g. if Dead Pixel is in middle of panel or 2 dead pixels with 2 cm of each other but these obvsiouly vary from Manufacturer to Manufacturer.

Advertisement