Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live and internet sharing

Options
  • 28-06-2007 5:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I'm trying to share my iMac's (wireless) internet connection with my Xbox. I've set everything up correctly from what I can see. I turned on Internet Sharing, forwarded ports in my router, opened the same ports in my firewall and I've set up all the ip/dns stuff on the Xbox. So I can now connect and download from Xbox Live.

The problem is I'm having great trouble connecting to other users because the xbox is reporting the NAT as "moderate". I've played around and tried connecting via another means, connecting directly to the router, etc and they all result in an "open" NAT. So the problem is only when connecting via the mac so I'm assuming it's due to OSX acting as another NAT router and blocking the necessary ports. But there's no option for opening any so I don't know what else to do.

I've tried everything, including turning off my firewall with no results.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Network Address Translation

first of all, did you use TwonkyMedia or Connect 360. Connect 360 is the best to connect your mac and xbox.
    An Ethernet Cable is the best approach, but if you are wireless you will need a wireless bridge. Microsoft wireless bridge is about €75. I am sure there are cheaper ones around.
    will i continue or is this help or not. ???????

or
    did the xbox show up / and in that case you have to go to the xbox dashboard and then in the system blades scroll to Computers and select your mac.

then go to media blades and scroll to music and select your computer.

I am not sure if i am any help here!!!!!!! I have not got a xbox 360 yet, i am getting. I have been reading up about it and until i saw your message i was full sure i was set to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks triple_h, but I'm actually talking about sharing the imac's internet connection with the xbox, not transferring files. Connect 360 is for streaming media isn't it?

You see my wireless router and internet modem is downstairs by the phone so I have my Xbox connected to my imac via an ethernet cable. This way I've been able to share my imac's airport internet connection with the Xbox so I can access Xbox Live. The problem is OSX won't let me open the ports I need for Xbox Live to work properly. It's seems to be acting as a NAT router.

I've done loads of googling on this issue and I haven't been able to find any solution. It's obviously just a limitation of OSX. It's not worth the hassle so I'm just gonna pick up a cheap wireless router tomorrow and use that for the xbox. The Microsoft one is way too expensive, 90 euro in some places :eek:

I haven't tried media streaming yet but I'm sure it'll be no problem. I already stream divx to an old soft-moddded xbox with XBMC. I do that via ethernet cable as well.

Just got the 360 yesterday, and it's great so far :)

Thanks triple_h, but I'm actually talking about sharing the imac's internet connection with the xbox, not transferring files. Connect 360 is for streaming media isn't it? :)

It is.
    Thats why i kind of figured i was of no help, but i reckoned that if one was to do what i said, it might open up a can of worms. you know the good ones. Anyway, well, I will be getting a 360 soon, i hear its amazing. I was wondering will the 360 be better value than apple tv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's all sorted now. I got a cheap USB wireless adapter for my Dell and have moved my Airport Express into this room for use with the Xbox.
    triple h wrote:
    Anyway, well, I will be getting a 360 soon, i hear its amazing. I was wondering will the 360 be better value than apple tv.

I'm not familiar with the 360's media playing abilities. I know it can be used as a media extender under xp and you can share your itunes library with it, but I was under the impression it can only play WMV video? Is there a way to make it play divx?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

Hi - I've been fighting with my Xbox, trying to get it connected, and I've finally solved my problems. I'm using O2 mobile broadband, on a mac.

Here's how I did it....

1st: Connect your Xbox 360 to your mac using an ethernet cable (network cable)
    2nd: Set up your Network Settings...
    Gateway - open terminal, type ifconfig en0
    get the inet address (xxx.xxx.x.x) - thats your Gateway setting
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
    Ip Address = Gateway + 1 so xxx.xxx.x.x+1 (or any number other than your gateway number, as long as the first 3 of four bits of the number are the same, and the last number is less than 255 [and greater than 0])

3rd: DNS Settings
    you get this by going to terminal again and typing
    "dig | grep SERVER"
    the number beside the Server in the output from this command should be the DNS that you are using. (you shouldn't need to enter a secondary DNS)

4th: TURN OFF AIRPORT!!!!!
    Yes airport should mean you don't need an ethernet cable, but it does (sometimes) affect the whole internet sharing ability of your mac.

I hope this helps! I was going mad for the last few days trying to get this set up. The worst thing was that I was getting connection, and then it mysteriously stopped working! That was all down to the airport getting confused in some way and stopping everything from working...

Anyway good luck (and everyone - download the Dragon Age 2 demo as many times as you can!!!!!)

Hasta!

Advertisement