Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top quality food in Dundalk

Options
  • 28-06-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am hoping to organise a family meal soon in the Dundalk area. I am looking for some recommendations for top of the range/award winning restuarants if any in Dundalk/Blackrock.
    Can any one make some suggestions please. We have a party of about 13-14 and are looking for something really specially for a very special night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

I should point out that it is not until October so would the Carlingford oyster festival be on then?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Don't know about the Oyster Festival but I can recommend a few restaurants
    Not in any particular order....

The Brake, Blackrock: quite expensive but has a good selection of seafood
    Windsor Bar, Dublin Road: excellent food, not sure how they would cope with a large group though. i don't think the restaurant is that big.
    Lisdoo, Newry Road: essential to reserve at weekends which says a lot
    Jade Garden, Park Street: very good Chinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Punjab House and King Balti are top-class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Go with the Winsor they can cut off some of the restaurant for just your group. Which will add to the ambience of the night for yourself and your guests.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

okgirl wrote:
    I am looking for some recommendations for top of the range/award winning restuarants if any in Dundalk/Blackrock.

There's only one restaurant that suits what you seem to be looking for IMHO.

Rosso

Rosso Restaurant Recent Accolades:
    "Best Restaurant in Leinster"
    Restaurant Association/Jacobs Creek Restaurant Awards 2007
    Winner of the Rosemont Young Restaurant Manager of the Year 2006
    Semi-Finalist in the Gordon Ramsay Scholarship 2006
    Finalist in the Baileys Young Chef of the Year 2006

“..a really superb meal….excellent food at a very reasonable price..
    ”Paulo Tuilo, Irish Independent, 26th August 2006

As was mentioned Punjab House Restaurant is superb if you're looking for Indian.

Let us know what you chose and how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Definately Rosso!

Especially if any vegetarians in the party. Have to say The Windsor would be hopeless on that front. :(

KBarry wrote:
    Don't know about the Oyster Festival but I can recommend a few restaurants
    Not in any particular order....

The Brake, Blackrock: quite expensive but has a good selection of seafood
    Windsor Bar, Dublin Road: excellent food, not sure how they would cope with a large group though. i don't think the restaurant is that big.
    Lisdoo, Newry Road: essential to reserve at weekends which says a lot
    Jade Garden, Park Street: very good Chinese

KBarry, thanks for the suggestions but I am looking for a little more exclusive.

Sudz and Mr Magnolia, I think it could be Rosso. It has been recommended by a few friends too. I am also looking for some where in the Carlingford area as one of the guests is very elderly and lives in Carlingford so this would accommodate her. Any suggestions?

okgirl wrote:
    Sudz and Mr Magnolia, I think it could be Rosso. It has been recommended by a few friends too. I am also looking for some where in the Carlingford area as one of the guests is very elderly and lives in Carlingford so this would accommodate her. Any suggestions?

Ghan House

okgirl wrote:

Maybe Magee's Bistro. I'm eating there for the first time tonight so I'll report back on it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Maybe Magee's Bistro. I'm eating there for the first time tonight so I'll report back on it. :)
    Been to Magee's a couple of times and heartily recommend it. Enjoy!

Bard wrote:
    Been to Magee's a couple of times and heartily recommend it. Enjoy!
    Ta matey, looking forward to it actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Fitzpatricks Bar & Restaurant. Superb. You may want to book now though, they're usually booked out months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Rosso

Myself and the girlfriend called in one sunday evening and were both very dissapointed. Especially since I had read the good review from the Indo Weekender

The restaurant is set on a cobble stone street in the heart of Carlingford.

Walking in, one is greeted by the aroma of fresh seafood and an open flame grill guides the eye into the open kitchen at the back of the restaurant. There is also a gentleman playing the piano.

The wine list is made up from a selection of about 12 reds and 12 whites from around the world. The specials board was made up entirely from seafood, from Sushi to Dover Sole.

The 4 of us were very happy with our food, served in a timely and very professional fashion. Nobody could fault a single plate, we all really enjoyed it from start to finish. It's exactly what you would expect to find in a small fishing village and I look forward to going back to try more of the fresh seafood dishes.

Myself and the girlfriend called in one sunday evening and were both very dissapointed. Especially since I had read the good review from the Indo Weekender

That's a big let down. They've never set a foot wrong during any of my visits. Would you try it again or write it off now entirely?

Mr Magnolia,

Thanks so much for the review. I really appreciate it. I reckon we will eat in Carlingford but I will definately try Rosso with my hubby. I have heard so much about it. It's a stones throw from the parents house so I have no excuse the next time I visit.

Cheers

No probs, don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Enjoy :)

Has anyone tried The Four Seasons in Carlingford yet for food.?

Nope, afraid not. Have you tried any of the recommendations so far?

Nope, afraid not. Have you tried any of the recommendations so far?

I'm afraid not. I was in Carlingford 2 weeks ago but it was a flying visit. Our family event is not until October so we are not under pressure at the moment.
    While Magee's sounds great I am not sure that it is what we are looking for. It seems to be more Bistro than resturant. We are looking for something really special. thats when I thought of The Four Seasons.
    I am in the other end of the country practically, so its difficult to choose. but I am sure it'll be alright on the night!

Thanks

Ok

• Advertisement

okgirl wrote:
    Has anyone tried The Four Seasons in Carlingford yet for food.?

Haven't been there myself but heard it isn't great!

sudzs wrote:
    Haven't been there myself but heard it isn't great!

I have heard that it was fairly poor too but it's all hear-say..
    okgirl wrote:
    While Magee's sounds great I am not sure that it is what we are looking for. It seems to be more Bistro than resturant. We are looking for something really special.

Magee's is a bistro type restaurant, but I really would recommend it. Can you not try out some of the suggestions before the occasion in question (if there is a specific occasion)

I would still rate/recommend Rosso's too. Is there to be one night or a number of meals organized?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

ROSSO is pretty good... Portions not too big, chairs not too comfortable but nice atmosphere...

Have you looked at the Stone House in Blackrock. Nice lilttle section out the back that can cater for about 20 odd people.. Good steaks. Can recommend it personally.

Four Seasons ain't great, food pretty much the same fare you get everywhere, nothing that would stand out... Staff seemed to be a bith dithery last time i was there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Four Seasons is poor quality poorly serviced. I wouldn't recommend it for any gathering.

Rosso is great but very expensive, The Stone House is good food, nice atmosphere and great service at a reasonable price. The Lisdoo is good for a large gathering.

Rosso

Rosso Restaurant Recent Accolades:
    "Best Restaurant in Leinster"
    Restaurant Association/Jacobs Creek Restaurant Awards 2007
    Winner of the Rosemont Young Restaurant Manager of the Year 2006
    Semi-Finalist in the Gordon Ramsay Scholarship 2006
    Finalist in the Baileys Young Chef of the Year 2006

“..a really superb meal….excellent food at a very reasonable price..
    ”Paulo Tuilo, Irish Independent, 26th August 2006

As was mentioned Punjab House Restaurant is superb if you're looking for Indian.

Let us know what you chose and how you get on :)

Mr Magnolia, I promised to let you know how we got on in Rosso. Absolutely fabulous. It was a very special occasion for my mothers 60th and the staff in Rosso really made it special. The food was excellent and our entire party enjoyed the night. I cannot fault the place. Thanks for the recommendation. I am certaintly going to recommend it too.

OK

Great! Very glad the recommendation held up and you all had a great night. Thanks very much for the update and happy birthday to your Mum :)

An update.

To provide some balance: I've been back in Magee's Bistro since and it didn't compare to my first visit. So, it maybe hit and miss.

Advertisement