Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching courses

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,
    My brother has just finished 1st year science 406.
    now he wants to switch from chemistry to earth science. Both have a similar first year.

Is this move possible?
    Would he have to re-do 1st year?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ShamOCeallaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

or check the book of modules / academic calender

in my course you can move to second year of a similar course and how to do this is set out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

first he needs to be sure he wants to make the move.
    he needs to be sure of this first.
    if there is an over lap, ten do out an excel spreadsheet or something like that clearing mapping out that overlap.
    so go up to the department, make enquires about the transfer and if they are kicking up a fuss, about being unsure whether its possioble or not, then show them this comparison that u did, there it is clear as they, ur showing interest, and showing u did your homework, trust me they take note of these things.
    unless there is a huge overlap i.e. 60% or more, he will more thank likely have to do 1st yr.
    best case scenario, he will be exempt from common modules between the two courses.

it should be ok thgouh, althought they might require u to have passed the year to make the transfer.
    not usre whether he will be exept from overlapping modules, doubt it though unless they have the same module codes.
    best of luck with it

Blue Duck wrote:
    Hi,
    now he wants to switch from chemistry to earth science. Both have a similar first year.

Is this move possible?

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

first he needs to be sure he wants to make the move.
    if there is an over lap, then do out an excel spreadsheet or something like that clearing mapping out that overlap.
    so go up to the department, make enquires about the transfer and if they are kicking up a fuss, about being unsure whether its possible or not, then show them this comparison that u did, there it is clear as they, ur showing interest, and showing u did your homework, trust me they take note of these things.

they might require u to have passed the year to make the transfer.
    not sure whether he will be exempt from similiar modules, unless there the same, i.e. same module codes
    best of luck with it
    be sure to get ont he case, asap, these request can sometimes take a while to go through.
    also note that a lot of people will be on holidays, so you need to allow for this.

Blue Duck wrote:
    Hi,

Is this move possible?

Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement