Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Garmin Support Experience

Options
  • 27-06-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

My Nuvi 660 purchased in February packed in a couple of weeks ago - NO satellite reception. I rang Garmin and they immediately sent me an email with a list of things to try (New software, Erasing user data etc). This didn't work so I called them back. They gave me a RNA return number and I sent the unit back (Registered post only covered me up to €320.00)

Eight days later I received a brand new nuvi 660 with all the accessories so I now have two windscreen mounts, 2 PSUs etc. Considering the postage times both ways I reckon that they sent sent the new unit out on the same day they received the faulty one. Pretty good support in my opinion.

P.S. Make sure you retain your original receipt as this was absolutely essential for the warrenty replacement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Try eMailing them with a tech support question, the response time is usually 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

ned78 wrote:
    Try eMailing them with a tech support question, the response time is usually 2 months.

I never tried emailing them - I'll stick with the phone. I phoned them three times and I always got through first time with a waiting time of 3/4 minutes.

=======================================================
    Of course the questions remains ............. why did the unit fail and what will it cost me if the new unit fails in a years time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

I had to email them because the Bluetooth on my 610t stopped working.
    they had a fix (which worked) within 2 days.
    Good support IMO

Might have been an easy fix though because it was probably a common problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

ned78 wrote:

I've had same day responses from them before, slowest was next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 parmenion

I e-mailed two questions to them 9 months ago and still no reply. Waited 3 months for a response and sent them again still no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My Nuvi 660(bought in May) went faulty recently.The audio from the speaker went very distorted and then disappeared completely.

I first tried the web support thing but got no reply or indeed any indication that it had worked at all,no auto reply or anything.

During the week I rang support and spoke to a pleasant woman who gave me an RMA number and details of where to return it.She apologised several times for it going faulty.She said I'd have a repair/replacement sent by courier within 7 working days of them receiving it.The experience was a lot better than most customer support places I've rung.
    The phone seems to be the way to go,I didn't experience any delay or hold time.

I posted the nuvi off on Friday so it will be interesting to see how I get on.

(I finally got a reply to the email today about 10 days after sending it)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I was very impressed with my support. Had problems with the POI's on my nuvi 250. They emailed me and eventually did a citrix session with me (took remote control of my pc from the UK).

Much better than some of the customer support I have experienced here in Ireland.

TJ911

Mind you I'm a bit pi**ed off that a 400 odd quid unit died after 4 months of light use,especially as I was heading for places I didn't know well the time it failed.

Well a new one arrived by Interlink today :)

Only posted it to the UK last Friday-that's good service.

Seems to be a brand new one complete with accessories - mount,leads,charger all the bits and bobs.Handy because I drive 2 vehicles so I won't have to be moving the mount.

Just goes to show that the hardware must cost Garmin very little.It was only the speaker or maybe an audio amp that was faulty(audio was fine on headphones).Simple job for a tech to diagnose and replace - No,just send a new one.Good for me but does anyone fix anything any more :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

garmin support is the best around. i had sent them a unit that was not covered by warranty, anyways they sent me back a new one FOC...

now thats great customer service.. they are the best gps around, and sw updates, etc work flawlessy, i have used many garmin gps units, and given them hard use, and they stand the test of time..

i wouldnt buy any other make tbh..

i have always got prompt responses to my emails to them...

there map sw is good too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I agree about Garmin customer service. Couple of years ago I had a key drop off a Garmin GPS76 (marine handheld) - 'twas debatable if it was within warranty or if the key problem could be considered 'wear and tear'. However there was no hassle - retailer I bought it from immediately suggested returning it to Garmin - he sent it back himself and called me a couple of weeks later to come get it. Think it was a new unit I got - though not with a second lot of the original accessories, alas.

Can't comment on the tech support side - however I have heard horror stories about Magellan's support - outsourced to India and callers just getting ground down until they go away or call back for another round..... db.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Garmin's customer service has always been excellent, they will replace a unit immediately, with no quibbles at all. And yes, it does cost them a lot of money to produce every unit, but it's a hit they're willing to take. They have even been known to look after customers very well, when units are well out of warranty.

Getting through to their support on the other hand has always been a problem. At times, you can expect to have to hold for an hour and a half on the phone. But once you get through, you're sorted. E-Mail support is getting better, taking 4-5 days for a reply. :eek:

Advertisement