Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 Mullingar to Longford

Options
  • 27-06-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭

Is there any news on this road upgrade, it's very early days and the NRA website says it's in the planning stage. But does anyone have any extra info. Eg is it likely to be dual carriageway or 2+1 etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

2+1 I imagine. Longford is only about 10km from Edgeworthstown then there is a good distance to Mullingar.
    I would say that they'll finish the Roosky/Dromod bypass first.
    Carrick bypass is also on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Gillie wrote:
    2+1 I imagine. Longford is only about 10km from Edgeworthstown then there is a good distance to Mullingar.
    I would say that they'll finish the Roosky/Dromod bypass first.

Well the Roosky Bypass is going to be 2+1 - that's before Longford where the N5 and N63 routes converge. On the contrary, the Edgeworthstown bypass is just an S2 with roundabouts - however, this is just a temporary fix to last a few years. Now, by the time the main upgrade (from Longford to Mullingar) comes on stream, I guess it will be a motorway type road. I used to travel on the stretch up to Longford in the 1990's and to say it was busy would be putting it mildly. One can only imagine what it will would be like in the 2010's - yep, I think an M'way is a good bet!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

A few months ago Dromod/Roosky N4 bypass was changed from 2+1 to dual-carriageway

http://www.roscommonherald.ie/news/story.asp?j=6107

Travel Times Good news for those travelling on the N4. The soon to be opened Dromod/Roosky bypass has now been officially upgraded to dual carriageway status.

The road was originally planned as a two plus one lane system that interchanged every few kilometers.

This latest news will shorten drive times to Dublin in a safer manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But isn't that already under construction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Gillie wrote:
    Not so sure. Read in the Leitrim Observer a while back that the council don't want to fix the traffic problems "too well" in case they fudge the chances of getting a bypass. The article was about the Stop (not Yield) sign the council put on the roundabout coming into the town from the Sligo side, just at the end of the bridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement