Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close landing at St Maartins

Options
  • 26-06-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Boy does this pilot take it close, I wouldn't like to be on a double decker bus heading home past this airport :eek:

Thanks Roundy for the help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

:eek: bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ive always wanted to go there. It really is a plane lovers paradise in a paradise!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

lol.thats a pretty shallow landing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

More shots of approaches to St.Maartens. I believe the beach has now been removed, whether by nature or man, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Theres plenty of videos with low approaches.

Apparently a storm destroyed the beach- it has happened before so I am told.

Lanzarote is the european version of Sint maartin! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

seen a few vids of this nature before... has there ever been accidents caught on camera/tape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Hoping to get there later this year with the wife for a couple of weeks. Maho Beach was indeed washed away by hurricane seas a few years ago, but the natural current restored it within a couple of months. The fence has been dragged down the runway on a few occasions wrapped around landing gear. The landing in the video is particularly low ... normally they are a few feet higher. The regular traffic is a KLM 747-400 several times a week, Air France A-340 daily and CorseAir 747 (-300 I think) twice a week, as well as numerous AA and US Airways 757s, and Continental 737s daily, along with loads of island hoppers and charters. One of the 'fun' things is to hang onto the low chain link fence as a 747 spools up a few feet in front of you, and 'fly' horizontally in the jetwash. an exhilerating experience, although it's usual to get a sandblasted face. The guy taking the video was just at the Sunset Bar, where the have live ATC, and all the daily scheduled arrivals chalked on a surf board. It's a mecca for spotters and photographers.

Apart from Maho Beach and Princess Juliana Airport, Sint Maartens/Saint Martins (it's part French, Part Dutch) is a pretty fabulous place.

Advertisement