Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get into america's favorite pastime?

Options
  • 26-06-2007 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Post your story here give the name of the team you support how you got into it and your best memory as a baseball fan. heres mine:

was on holiday in boston visiting an aunt watched a couple of games on tv, watched some more....watched a few more and then one day i saw a documentary about the greatest rivalry in sports yankees/redsox..that was it i was hooked, went to see the sox play the blue jays a coupe of days later and never looked back, I have to best memories no 1. redsox winning the world series in 2004 no2. was at a redsox/white sox game in fenway, big papi steps up the crowd on their feet and bam the big man delivered...electrifying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Amazingly enough, I arrived in Toronto this day 6 years ago to live. There was a day game the following day, and I have no idea why but me and my mate went. We got interviewed on the Jumbo-tron before the game and won some prizes too! At the time I knew almost nothing of the rules, but I liked what I saw...so I went back around 30 times that Summer, and watched all the other games on TV. Have been back many times on holidays for a home-stand, but not in a few years.
    Most rare thing I saw live was Jeff Frye hitting for the cycle against I dunno who!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, the SkyDome had just opened a few days and I moved to Toronto. Never got to any games cos they were all sold out, new stadium and all that. 4 million attendance for the 1st time for an MLB team that year. Mookie Wilson, John Olerud etc etc.
    My then gf had corporate tickets to CFL games so attended 3 of them.

Moved to San Francisco 4 months after the Loma Prieta earthquake when the WS game was about to take place in Oakland. Was a miracle that the two local teams were in the final as the freeways were empty. Wudda been thousands squashed to death if not for those circumstances.

Went the odd time to the Oakland Coliseum when the Blue Jays were in town, the odd time to the cold and windy Candlestick Park, which was too far from downtown. The new stadium there is right near the city centre, it must be good.
    Going to Candlestick you needed a jumper and jacket, to Oakland you needed sunblock, on the same day. Temp difference in 5 miles could be about 20c.

Best/Unusual memory, 1992, BlueJays won the WS, Canadian gf flew to SF to visit, after the last game, me and the ex-gf and the current gf drinking neat Jamesons in a transexual bar near me gaff!!!! ah, happy days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok, first time post in this forum.

Its been quite literally in the last few days that I've gotten into baseball. A few years ago, my brother was in Toronto for the summer, so thats where he got the bug. Dont know why its taken so long for me to get into it, but maybe my brother is just watching it more on tv now(god bless NASN). Then with Toronto on tv the other night, I watched that with him, found it quite good. Then last night, we stayed up till half 4 listening to the radio coverage of the match(2nd one against the Red Sox, 1st one was on tv). I still have to get the ins and outs of the game as a whole, but I understand the scoreboard, which is a start. So the Bluejays are kinda my adopted team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lived 100 yards from Fenway Park. while i was J1'ing in Boston in 1999. All star game was on there that year too...so much excitement in the air for each game and i could watch the games on the big screen in Fenway. Never actually got in to see a game as it was sold out for every game i had time off for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

RuggieBear, come on Toronto. Third match in a 4-game series tonight. Both teams have won one each so far. 'Mon the Bluejays:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement