Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on shelving - 2.5m with no "supports"

Options
  • 25-06-2007 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I need to put up some shelving across one end of our box room - the wall is 2.5m wide. The three walls are plasterboard.

I would prefer not to use brackets and supports, but just build it up like a box.

Any advice ? Would making a box (2.5m x 40cm x 40cm) connected to the studs within the wall do - or would it sag ? What about using furniture-quality MDF/type material ? Or would that be too heavy ?

Ta

Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi Frank

do you mean something like this ?

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Simple-Floating-Shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Wow, what a brilliant idea. I suppose the honeycomb structure of the doors gives it rigidity while still being fairly light.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

no probs,
    I am finding it hard to get suitable doors though, ones without the 6 panels are not in fashion at the mo, might have to check out the local dump me thinks, or maybe recycling centre.

cheers
    rob

Advertisement