Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance - questions

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

if i move to a different county do i need to put my name down on that countys council housing list before i can qualify for rent allowance?.

also i have found a house,but i asked do the accept rent allowance and i was told that the would accept it,but the did not know anything about it,as in regards to do the have to be registered or something?. or what way does it work?..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

if you move to another county your rent allowance will be paid by a different regional board - you'll have to put your name on their housing list, i think, as a requirement for receiving allowance, though i'm not sure.

If the landlord isn't registered, he'll not be paying tax - definitely ruling out chances of you getting rent allowance. he'll also be caught out and face a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

was talking to the person that has the house to rent and the told me i would have to go the local welfare officer and get him to make the rent allowance cheque out in my name then i cash it and add on the remainder and give them the money that way.

will the local welfare officer do this?will he make the rent allowance payable to me?.then i cash it and add on the remainder myself.

any advice would be very much appreciated thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

the person that has the house for rent knows nothing about rent allowance,and says she would not accept any cheques in there name.
    so what do i do then?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Not meaning to be smart but, you'll just have to find a house with a landlord who does accept rent allowance cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bassy wrote:
    was talking to the person that has the house to rent and the told me i would have to go the local welfare officer and get him to make the rent allowance cheque out in my name then i cash it and add on the remainder and give them the money that way.

will the local welfare officer do this?will he make the rent allowance payable to me?.then i cash it and add on the remainder myself.

any advice would be very much appreciated thanks.

Its normal for the rent allowance cheque to be made out to the tenant, and not the landlord, and for the tenant to make any additional topups to this before paying the landlord. The reason a lot of landlords are not thrilled about rent-allowance, is its paid on a monthly basis to the tenant, and if its delayed for any reason whatsoever (it happens regularly) the tenant may be late making the payment, leaving the landlord in the lurch, in a lot of cases without knowing whether he/she will be paid or not. Hence a lot of landlords may not accept rent-allowance tenants, or insist on a larger than normal deposit (normally paid by the council) to allow for any eventualities.

Advertisement